Unknown herbs

• 6 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Unknown herbs
« on: February 10, 2010, 20:36 »
My daughter has just come home from Brownies with 2 small pots of compost that apparently contain herb seeds. The Leader looked blank when I asked what herbs they are so I guess we'll have to wait and see. ::)

I've watered them as the compost was bone dry and put them on my brightest sunniest window sill but is there a general rule of thumb for herbs?

Do they need to be placed in a polythene bag?
Do they needs lots of warmth?

I'll post a piccy as soon as I see any signs of life to see if we can I.D. them. :unsure:
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Unknown herbs
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 21:44 »
It does depend what they are really  :ohmy: :ohmy:

If they are in a reasonably warm room I daresay they will come up eventually but generally herbs like to be kept cosy, so you could lay a sheet of newspaper over the top of the compost as this will help keep heat in and cooling draughts off the surface.

Wonder what they'll turn out to be  :wacko:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

purplebean

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:31 »
I sowed basil, chives, garlic chives and parsley in pots on the windowsill on 31st Jan. The basil was through in a week no sign of the others yet. I do a few herbs like this most years at this time as they usually do OK on the windowsill and it lets me get sowing  :D

madcat

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 14:30 »
One year the sunday times gave away pkts of mixed herb seeds on the front of the magazine.  Several (!) years later I planted them.  As I remember I put them out in May after the frosts in a planter of damp compost, sprinkle the seeds, cover with a thin layer of more compost and a sheet of glass over the  top to keep them a bit warmer and drier.  When the early ones germinated - which took several weeks from the first to the last - I took the glass off and just kept them damp.  Not wet, or they would have rotted off. Gave me a good if peculiar crop - not a mix I would have put together, but hey, it was free!   :D

given how early in the year it is, you are going to need a sunny, draught free window ledge. A plastic bag would help until they germinate but take it off as soon as the first ones are up.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 15:00 »
My daughter has just come home from Brownies with 2 small pots of compost that apparently contain herb seeds. The Leader looked blank when I asked what herbs they are so I guess we'll have to wait and see. ::)

I'll post a piccy as soon as I see any signs of life to see if we can I.D. them. :unsure:

I don't know why I find that astonishing ::) I can't add anything to the good advice thats been given already, but I'm sure looking forward to seeing what these "herbs" are. "What do you mean you need to know what they are. They're herbs!".  :lol: :lol:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

allstars_princess

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 09:23 »
I love when people say stuff like "its a plant" - of course it is but which one! 

I run a childrens' gardening club and we planted some peas this week.  One little boy asked me if he could eat the peas that grew from the seeds.  Before I could answer 'yes' his mum said "of course not these are just peas for looking at" I thought she was being silly with him until I saw her serious face.  It took me 5 mins of explaining that this is how we grow peas to eat before she believed me! 

I AM STILL SHOCKED  ???

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:38 »
I love when people say stuff like "its a plant" - of course it is but which one! 

I run a childrens' gardening club and we planted some peas this week.  One little boy asked me if he could eat the peas that grew from the seeds.  Before I could answer 'yes' his mum said "of course not these are just peas for looking at" I thought she was being silly with him until I saw her serious face.  It took me 5 mins of explaining that this is how we grow peas to eat before she believed me! 

I AM STILL SHOCKED  ???

It's amazing isn't it  :ohmy:

These are the people that are raising/teaching our next generation! Quite scary >:(

Thanks for all your replies peeps.... I've placed them in a poly bag and am waiting for the first signs of life!

Watch this space  ;)

xx
Unknown cucumbers

Started by Yabba on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 10:15
by gobs
xx
Unknown Pest!

Started by crh75 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 16:20
by crh75
xx
Unknown brassica

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 12:27
by crowndale
xx
unknown bugs on my rhubarb

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 22:23
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 1.055 seconds with 36 queries.