pooper-scoopers

• 27 Replies

vichope74

Re: pooper-scoopers
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 16:34 »
Glad to hear it's not just my dogs that are scoffing the chicken poop!!!!!!  Also just trodden one into my car  :tongue2:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 09:12 »
Gloved hand to poo pick in the coop, and a garden trowel to scoop up in the run.  All goes into a big plastic dish which gets tipped into the chicken compost bin.  One of those plastic darleks with a lid to prevent smells and flies etc.

When the chicken compost has 'calmed down' a bit :D  Gets tipped into the garden compost bays.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 09:41 »
Rubber gloves and a bit of hemcore for the runny ones!

grumpydad

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 14:52 »
2 dog poop scoops, one large and one small

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 21:48 »
I used a small metal dustpan initially, but now just chuck a bit of sawdust on it to soak up the wet ones! and then pick it up by hand and chuck it in the ashbin before taking it to the compost bin.  Wash hands well of course before I cooke the bacon and eggs  :tongue2:

Did someone mention dogs eating it, I thought I was going nuts when I saw my dog do that, but she rushes into the pen and starts snooping around for any chicken poop she can eat before I can stop her now, makes me feel really sick, what is it about chicken poop that they like?

ehs284

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 23:24 »
Lots of animals need to eat poo to start or maintain their gut flora. It even has an effect on humans - vaginal births have a quicker establishment of a good gut flora than do ceasarians.
Not nice to think about, but that's life.

browntrouty

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 01:04 »
thank you all. having really bad evening, read this and am smiling. my dog just loves my hen poo! yuk. dirty beast.  i love this frosty weather as all the animal poo just freezes and it is real easy to scoop up.

Julesanne

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 19:00 »
I cut the bottom off a plastic milk carton and with the handle being the other end it makes a real good scoop, and when it tooo pooey i put it in the bin and make another.

karlooben

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 19:39 »
wicked idea jules dont mind if i use it to do ya  :D the trowel is good but it can full of it sometimes and u can spend a few mins trying to re pick it up as i done loads this afternoon  :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

neil9797

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 19:45 »
Julesanne - genius! That's the one for me  :D

Elcie

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 11:38 »
I cut the bottom off a plastic milk carton and with the handle being the other end it makes a real good scoop, and when it tooo pooey i put it in the bin and make another.

Excellent idea, will be doing that from now on.  At the moment it isn't too much of a problem as I have the chickens in the garden and the dog disposes of most of it like others have said, but they are moving to the plot once their new home is ready and, unless I take the dog down there to eat it, I will have to clean it up!

littlewitch

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 16:50 »
 the idea of using 'doctored' plastic milk containers is also good to use as feed  & corn scoops - any other uses for them?

Basil_UK

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 19:02 »
My daughters seaside spade  does the trick perfectly,  however the milk carton is ingenious ! :D
Chooks :- Amber, Ashely, Marol, Jazz, Bluebell, Cleopatra,Buffy, Angel and Summer, Cats:- Dee and Jay, Fish Hermionee, Harry and Ron.

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 28 queries.