Oyster Shell Supplies....

• 8 Replies

Chuckles

Oyster Shell Supplies....
« on: February 09, 2010, 21:47 »
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knows of anyone in the Doncaster area that supplies oyster shell??? My usual supplier is having problems getting hold of it now - and my girls are running really low!!!!

Thanks all....

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Oyster Shell Supplies....
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 22:46 »
sorry not in your area but if you run out you can wash their empty egg shells and then either nuke them in a microwave with a cup of water like roughlee does or bake them in the oven whilst cooking like I do. Then crush the shells and your girls can have those. The ultimate in recycling  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Fredjones

• Once a blue Always a blue in Runcorn, Cheshire
    • Fred`s web pages
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 22:51 »
If you have a Jollies pet stores near by they sell oyster shell by the kilo
2 x Warrens, 5 x ex batts, 3 x Daughters, 5 x grandsons, 1 x granddaughter, 1 x wife, this is enough for 1 x man

Chuckles

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 22:56 »
We do have a jollies in doncaster but for some reason they don't sell oyster shell - only just started selling poultry spice...they are getting there slowly???

I'll give the baked egg shells a try if I don't manage to find some oyster shell, I've got a stash of egg shells - been saving them up for the war against the slugs in summer - keep them off my veggies!  :wacko:

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 23:42 »
You can buy oyster shell on the web.   At £4.99 for 5kg see http://www.ratbait.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=174&gclid=CJ__g9G15p8CFZAA4wod5x6xHA
or any of the major poultry suppliers.  It's also available in 1Kg lots on ebay.

Joy - How many egg shells do you need to crush to get the equivalent calcium as I kg of oyster shell given that egg shell has about a third as much calcium by weight as oyster shell ie you need to get 3KG of crushed egg shell?  Just kidding. :D

HF
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 06:43 »
dunno hf, but we get through loads of eggs here so all of them get crushed and it seems to keep up with all 18 girls needs so there  :tongue2:  :lol:

Chuckles

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 14:41 »
Thanks all, I didn't try online because I didn't want to get killed with the carriage - but if I can't get any locally thats the way I'll go!  :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 19:43 »
Hi, have a quick look in your phone book for pet supplies :)Most of the bigger stores like fa*m and p*t.....p*ts at hom*, or country wi*e stores etc sell stuff like that.  i just sat down with a cuppa and worked my way through the phone book :D good luck

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 21:54 »
dunno hf, but we get through loads of eggs here so all of them get crushed and it seems to keep up with all 18 girls needs so there  :tongue2:  :lol:

Don't fool yourself Joy if it were sufficient for their needs they'd need to be perpetual motion machines which, as a scientist, I know controvenes the laws of thermodynamics.  At best it suppliments their needs they still need calcium supplied in their feed and/ or environment which fortunately they get to excess. :wub: ;)
HF

xx
Oyster shell

Started by Sazzle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 14:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
oyster shell

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2007, 21:15
by muntjac
xx
Oyster Shell

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 11:44
by alisonwo
xx
oyster shell????

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 18:42
by jamima

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 38 queries.