Getting Going !

• 29 Replies

Potiron

• Experienced Member
Getting Going !
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:24 »
 Yet another cold, grey, day,  cant wait for Spring  :unsure: so has anyone got anything on the go yet (seeds) if so give us a clue as to what!
Ears and Eyes open, Gob shut.

plum crumble

Re: Getting Going !
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:28 »
bonjour Potiron! Just started some caulie seeds off....nothing else............ :(really fed-up with waiting!
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:31 »
We have chilli seeds in and taking off. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:19 »
today im hoping to start some tomatoes an cucumber on the window sill,,bit eary maybe ???

savbo

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:20 »
put all that was left from a 2007 packet of parsnip seeds on tissue to see what I get...if I don't get the 30ish I need in 2 weeks I'll buy a fresh packet! got 30%+ germination last year so maybe...

MS

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:25 »
today im hoping to start some tomatoes an cucumber on the window sill,,bit eary maybe ???

It is if you haven't got a heated greenhouse to put them in later.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bigben

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 09:17 »
Like you I am impatient to get going - got some chillis growing inside and sprouts just started. Might get some parsnips going in paper pots at the weekend.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 09:26 »
You're very early with those sprouts, mine won't go in until the end of March and then in a cold greenhouse. Brassicas do not need heat, do you have these indoors as well?

If you're too early and the plants too advanced, the sprouts will try to form when it's still warm and they can "blow".

I really do advise patience, we've seen from past years that being too early can end in tears.

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 09:57 »
we are all getting itchy feet me especially lets not get to impatient plenty of time let the ground warm up there's plenty to do in the greenhouse i am tempted to get the heater going Ive got onion sets seed potatoes box of flower  and veg seed at the ready just one thing that's holding me back the bl...dy weather its been along winter not over with yet i fear and  yes i am  going to start some things off in paper pots in the greenhouse get the heater going shortly I've made up my mind perhaps maybe  the end of the month!! so chill out chill being the operative word

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 10:05 »
Just chillies and peppers for me:)  My family know when I've started 'cause I bring a bucket of  compost into the house to warm it up as I haven't got a greenhouse!

Debz

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 10:15 »
It is the most beautiful sunny but cold day in Glasgow.  Like everyone else I am desparate to start to plant seeds.  I don't have a heated greenhouse so will endevour to be patient and listen to DD.  For the time being I will just look at the pictures on the seed packets although if I have some pepper seeds I might put them in on the window sill.

noshed

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 10:18 »
I've put some Winter Density lettuce on my windowsill
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 10:23 »
Won't they go a bit floppy? I'd try some seed if I were you. :tongue2:

goodegg

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 10:40 »
well i got peas just popping up in the cold greenhouse . i have a half  tray of lettuce , broad beans , cabbage , and my toms are 2 in high i also couldent wait im going to plant leeks in next few days. we are awfull but we like it so much, cues going in end of week in heated propergater goog luck to you all in new growing season.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 10:44 »
Well, you are knocking on 300 miles south of me!

Page created in 0.699 seconds with 36 queries.