can i grow hemp ???

• 26 Replies

earthmagic fairy

• http://bluebellcrafts.etsy.com
can i grow hemp ???
« on: May 24, 2007, 22:25 »
i am an aromatherapist , hedge witch , i would like to make organic soap from the herbs and flowers grown on my allotment after researching it i have decided to grow my own hemp after planting the hemp seeds on the plot someone has said i need to have a license for growing hemp does any one know anything about this ??? please help befor my seeds appear  :D
BLOOM WHERE YOU ARE PLANTED !!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
can i grow hemp ???
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 22:44 »
Think they will be right else the old bill will think you growing something you had not ought too. Hemp that farmers grow has a reduced level of drug stuff in.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

earthmagic fairy

can i grow hemp ???
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 22:49 »
goodness i never thought of that ...got the seeds from holland and barratt  i am very worryed about it now  but the seeds are in i did some research and it make a good compost additive ???

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
can i grow hemp ???
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 22:58 »
Quote from: "earthmagic fairy"
goodness i never thought of that ...got the seeds from holland and barratt  i am very worryed about it now  but the seeds are in i did some research and it make a good compost additive ???

Don't know about a compost additive but they will rot down. Cant imagine from H&B their the wrong sort any way. You could always make some discreet enquires before rooting them up.

mkhenry

can i grow hemp ???
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 23:22 »
Yes Officer I was only growing Hemp To make Soap."how much soap can you make with a Lottie full of Seeds"
I remember A TV programme that showed a lottie commitee that called in the police because they found 1 plant growing,and that was only one. 8)
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
can i grow hemp ???
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 06:57 »
You need a licence................

http://www.defra.gov.uk/farm/capreform/singlepay/setaside/pdf/qahemp.pdf

When we went to the Eden project in Cornwall, they were grwoing Hemp and made it well clear that they had a licence for it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Oscar Too

can i grow hemp ???
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 10:23 »
I'm pretty sure that seeds sold in healthfood stores are non-viable anyway - zapped or baked or something.

If you want to make soap, it may be worth starting by getting in contact with licensed legal growers and buying any surplus.

H0megr0wn

can i grow hemp ???
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 13:36 »
I used to use it for fishing, any left i used to throw out for the birds.  Was quite a shock to find a dozen or so plants about a foot high in the back garden.  

"Under EC rules the UK must sample at least 20% of the area
growing hemp to ensure that the Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
content of the crop does not exceed the level prescribed by
the EC legislation (0.2%)."

They encourage you to test it. haha.  
I know my brother uses it for horse bedding.
organic, till the slugs and bugs get the better of me.

David.

can i grow hemp ???
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 17:12 »
Quote from: "H0megr0wn"

They encourage you to test it. haha.

Is that a smoke test, as used for testing pipe joints?

H0megr0wn

can i grow hemp ???
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 20:42 »
Its amazing that its one of the oldest plants used by man (and women) and it can't be grown.  I always thought that the stuff you smoke was specifically hybridised to maximise the THC content and that the plant used in clothing, rope, cosmetics etc... had a negligable amount of THC.

mkhenry

can i grow hemp ???
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 21:34 »
Quote from: "H0megr0wn"
Its amazing that its one of the oldest plants used by man (and women) and it can't be grown.  I always thought that the stuff you smoke was specifically hybridised to maximise the THC content and that the plant used in clothing, rope, cosmetics etc... had a negligable amount of THC.

You are right.The hemp grown for making oils and clothes etc,is only suitable for that purpose.However the plants look the same and  it would therefore be impossible to police it if everyone started to grow all kinds of hemp for all different end uses.You could claim to be growing one type and actually grow another etc............Also it is a shame because it is truly a wonderful plant suitable for so many things which in turn would be great for a small business to make a very good living...In fact I have wondered if the profit thing is one reason the gov/people do not want us to get in on the act. :?

earthmagic fairy

thank you
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 21:50 »
i couldnt sleep for fear of losing the plot hehe, such a innocent idea to make a organic product could become so complicated ,thank you every one, i know the seeds grow as i have one that i testd that is now destroyed, as for the ones on the plot i will cover them with black plastic to stop the germination processs, hemp is the most widely sold soap in the uk for male use, after researching it, it saddens me to think that through the discreditation via  the logging industry in USA in early 1900 it became a banned plant around the globe and can only be grown in some places and processed in others.....money, greed, control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm going to have to think of somethink else, more blooming lavender soap!!
Once again thank you for every bodies reply, this is a great forum, blessings

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
can i grow hemp ???
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 21:52 »
Well the home office have withdrawn the license fee for growing hemp used to be £360 a year ! found this interesting article if anyone's interested.

earthmagic fairy

Thank you for the link
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 22:22 »
Interesting article, should anybody else be viewing this topic, suggest they read it too!!!!2007 could be the year HEMP is liberated!
Thanks again, must say we have had a good giggle with various senarious with regards to this subject, but being a good girl ? I will not post these end user suggestions.... or be making the bars of soap! from hemp at least! :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
can i grow hemp ???
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 22:27 »
Just a thought dabhand makes very nice soap, she has a website that you can view.

I reckon cannabis soap could be a good seller  :lol:

xx
Hemp - NOT the drug!

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 07, 2016, 19:42
by sunshineband
clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 37 queries.