Onions - is this normal?

• 6 Replies

JohnB47

Onions - is this normal?
« on: February 08, 2010, 14:38 »
Hi.

Had a look at my over-wintering onions today. Some appear to have been pushed up and have an air  gap around the bulb area.

I bent down and sqeezed one of these pushed up bulbs, only to find that there wasn't really any bulb there. It was just the outer casing of the original onion set suspended in mid air, around a fairly substantial looking stem - a bit like a young leek stem.

Is this normal? Will that stem eventually swell to become the onion?

Seems odd to me.

Trillium

Re: Onions - is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 14:55 »
As long as there's healthy green growth, don't worry about it. Sometimes bulb casings are loose to begin with and get shuffled to the surface while the roots pull the rest deeper down.

bonfire

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 22:12 »
The bulb is the store for the plant to start growing when you plant it. You want everything to go into the plant - this means no bulb.
When it knows it is going to have to stop growing late in the summer it bulbs up - that's when you want the bulb - not now.

zazen999

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:53 »
In about a month; around St Patrick's Day; after the first spuds are in - try fingering them.

What you do is to loosen the soil around the onions, using a stiff finger or a dibber, or half a clothes peg - anything small and hard.......and the onion then absorbs all the spring rains and starts to bulb out and isn't restricted by any capping of the soil that has happened over Winter.

You only have to loosen the top cap; not too deep as you will disturb the roots. 

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 09:43 »
In about a month; around St Patrick's Day; after the first spuds are in - try fingering them.

What you do is to loosen the soil around the onions, using a stiff finger or a dibber, or half a clothes peg - anything small and hard.......and the onion then absorbs all the spring rains and starts to bulb out and isn't restricted by any capping of the soil that has happened over Winter.

You only have to loosen the top cap; not too deep as you will disturb the roots. 

I can't really see how this is necessary when plants can push there way through tarmac and onions are mostly above ground anyway, but if you have time on your hands, the only issue is what root damage you might be doing.

zazen999

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 09:53 »

I can't really see how this is necessary when plants can push there way through tarmac and onions are mostly above ground anyway, but if you have time on your hands, the only issue is what root damage you might be doing.

It is necessary if you have clay and want big onions. You'll notice I said to make it shallow to just break up the crust/capping to avoid root damage.

I've not seen big onions growing through tarmac; but I'd be interested in seeing some.....have you got any photos?

[the old boys - AKA naysayers - on my lottie site were visiting regularly to see the size of my onions, they were blown away.....and now adopt my techniques :D]

JohnB47

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 12:08 »
The bulb is the store for the plant to start growing when you plant it. You want everything to go into the plant - this means no bulb.
When it knows it is going to have to stop growing late in the summer it bulbs up - that's when you want the bulb - not now.

Curious.

I got my allotment in late April last year and it was in a bad state.  By the time I planted onion sets it was really late. As they grew, they kept looking like onions (although I didn't feel the bulbs at any point) and produced small but edible results.

So is it  that over-wintering onions behave differently to summer planted ones? In over-wintering ones the bulb dissapears for a while but in summer ones, the bulb remains and just gradually gets bigger? I don't think I've read that anywhere. Just curious.

Cheers and thanks for other comments too.

xx
Are my onions normal? - updated with photos

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 19:11
by Babstreefern
xx
Is this a record or just normal?

Started by Briony on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 22:58
by Stripey_cat
clip
sweetcorn - is this normal?!

Started by Novice1984 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2019, 14:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Is this normal? tomatoes

Started by knittywittywoo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:06
by knittywittywoo

Page created in 0.83 seconds with 36 queries.