New to growing potatoes in Warwickshire

• 3 Replies

black cat

New to growing potatoes in Warwickshire
« on: February 07, 2010, 16:34 »
Hi
I'm new to growing potatoes. I live in Warwickshire and was wondering if now is the time to start chitting potatoes? I have a variey of earlies and maincrop. Do i start chitting them altogether? Or do i start the earlies first and wait to chit the maincrop? I'm a little unsure.
Any advice i would be grateful for.

Fisherman

Re: New to growing potatoes in Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 17:03 »
Start chitting new potatoes now for planting out in late March / early April. They need to be kept in a cool, light frost free place and take about 4 – 6 weeks before their ready for planting. Where you are in Warwickshire you should be OK to plant them out at the end of March so that you miss the late frost when they pop their heads out. Late potatoes can be chitted a few weeks later and planted out mid April. Spuds like plenty of food so manure them and feed them well. When they are growing above ground you will need to cover them with fleece or sheets if frost is forecast as it will knock them back a couple of weeks if the leaves get touched.

Nothing better than home grown spuds, boiled fresh with loads of butter hmmmmm .

Good luck.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 18:07 »
I have all mine chitting now started them off in the spare bedroom in egg boxes and seed trays, hopefully going to plant them out in Mid to late march depending on the weather, they have already got tiny little shoots coming up, as I am new to growing your own as well, I am wondering whether I have put them out to early.  Mandy

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 19:56 »
No your not too early Mandy. Just keep them in a cool frost free place and they will be fine. If they grow shoots beyond 20mm or so just be careful when planting them.

xx
Newbie in Warwickshire

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 18, 2007, 21:09
by richyrich7
xx
Growing potatoes the 'no dig' way?

Started by Becky-Lou on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 22, 2014, 12:46
by Auntiemogs
xx
Potatoes growing

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 20:41
by Yabba
xx
growing potatoes

Started by Lucy Danning on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 12:24
by WG.

Page created in 0.836 seconds with 36 queries.