help im new to this and have lost my garlic!

• 11 Replies

peggyspatch

help im new to this and have lost my garlic!
« on: February 06, 2010, 13:55 »
 :( hi I am new to the whole allotment thing! got my half plot near chester last october, I prepared raised beds etc did all the digging and feeding of the beds and planted out my garlic bulbs bought from reputable supplier in november.... but still no sign, Iam new at this and learning so forgive me if I should know these things, but shouldnt something be coming up by now or is it too early? am worried that with such a wet season may have rotted? any advice would be lovely I feel under pressure as have two elderley and very experienced plotters either side of me !!!

many thanks in anticipation

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: help im new to this and have lost my garlic!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 14:06 »
Oh dear, welcome to the forums, sorry your first post is about a problem.

Certainly seems as though they've disappeared one way or other. My October planted ones were through in a few weeks and are now about 8" high.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 14:48 »
If I were you I'd lift one and have a look....see what's going on

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 14:50 »
I planted my garlic in December and like yourself, cannot see anything.  But I wouldn't worry, because basically, if you have quite a few garlic planted, not all of them will rot or whatever, you should have a few come up  We've had extremely severe weather with very deep snow, and this may well have slowed them down.  Not much light will have got to them.  Just keep watching out for them. :D
Babs

savbo

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 15:31 »
I'm in exactly the same position - planted before Christmas and no sign yet. So i had a furtle and scraped off the top very gently - nothing. Ah well, they've probably rotted.... so I took the trowel and slowly went down about 4" and there was a shoot making its way up...

now I didn't think I'd planted that deep, and I'm wondering if the frost has lifted the surface of the soil a little?

MS

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 00:18 »
Mine, planted in November, have only just sprouted and I'm on the South Coast which is warmer than alot of places. Can't describe the joy of seeing those tips pushing through! :)

agapanthus

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 04:03 »
Fret not!!! They will come. I planted mine in sept and they are only now coming up!!

davmabz

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 10:28 »
hi planted my garlic 10/12/09, covered with polytheane their now 4 inchs tall, think covering them did the trick removed poly once they were showing ! 8)

peggyspatch

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 11:39 »
thankyou all for replys so far..... will sit it out another week or two and see what happens maybe even try and lift one, I shall let you know if anything happens!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 15:06 »
The variety you have planted makes a difference too. My provence wight was up very quickly but the solent wight is only just poking its shoots up and they were all planted on the same day.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

peggyspatch

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 16:09 »
the variety was solent wight so maybe is just a little behind!!! my word if I have this much stress over my first ever crop on my allotment its going to be a fun year!!!!!

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 18:02 »
Hi Peggy, welcome.  I planted my garlic in October, it was very freekishly warm then, and they were all showing there lovley little heads by early November which was also very mild for the time of year,  but then it turned very cold and hasnt really warmed up yet so the soil temprature is very cold, give it time to warm up out there and I think they will then start to shoot up.  Mandy

xx
lost veg

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 22:52
by solway cropper
xx
Lost almost everything :(

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 22:51
by seaside
xx
Lost the thread...

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 22:27
by mumofstig
xx
I've lost my cherry!

Started by Ian_P on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 16:04
by gobs

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 29 queries.