The tomato thief

• 5 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
The tomato thief
« on: May 24, 2007, 12:33 »
I had two tumblers doing fine - flowers an all -in hanging baskets.
 :o
Went to water them this morning and found one of them missing - just 3 inches of stem remaining.
First thought was "Which thieving bird ....?"
Then someone suggested "Squirrel". Yes they could walk along the supporting beam.
What do think is most likely? And should I leave the tomato plant to grow again, or just replace it? .. They're quite cheap in Birkenhead Market  :lol:
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
The tomato thief
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 12:36 »
Don't know what's nicked it, but if you can get a cheap replacement I'd do that rather than wait for the plant to sprout again, whch it may not do!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jim T

• Experienced Member
The tomato thief
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 12:40 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Don't know what's nicked it, but if you can get a cheap replacement I'd do that rather than wait for the plant to sprout again, whch it may not do!

:) Thanks Digger, I'm off to market, Jim

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
The tomato thief
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 13:27 »
I had 4 tumblers in my hayrack next to back door, but one dided tanks to snail I think.  the other 3 look healthy enough, nd 2 of them are flowering, but they are only about 5 inches tall, I thought tumblers were supposed to tumble???  They look like bonsai's!!!!

brianh

The tomato thief
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 16:51 »
I've not heard of squirrels eating toms but I wouldn't put anything past the little blighters. Last year I had threee outdoor toms out, easily accessible, and didn't lose any despite the fact that there was a very healthy squirrel population which would dig up plants, make holes in the lawn and tip over pots. Difficult to imagine birds demolishing your plant as comprehensively as you describe though.

If it is a squirrel and you replant they will probably be back for another feast!
Brian

Jim T

• Experienced Member
The tomato thief
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 20:42 »
Quote from: "brianh"
I've not heard of squirrels eating toms but I wouldn't put anything past the little blighters. Last year I had threee outdoor toms out, easily accessible, and didn't lose any despite the fact that there was a very healthy squirrel population which would dig up plants, make holes in the lawn and tip over pots. Difficult to imagine birds demolishing your plant as comprehensively as you describe though.

If it is a squirrel and you replant they will probably be back for another feast!

:twisted: Well I've covered the whole thing with fleece - to guard against whatever critter it is AND the bitter wind expected on Monday :D

xx
Strawberry thief

Started by suef63 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2015, 16:58
by suef63
xx
Strawberry thief

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 06:41
by skatenchips
xx
red cabbage thief

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 07:52
by Brassica Blaz
xx
Sgt Murphy investigates - the carrot thief

Started by drcath on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 15:28
by drcath

Page created in 0.878 seconds with 36 queries.