too late for mushroom compost on brassica beds?

• 1 Replies

fekq

• Experienced Member
too late for mushroom compost on brassica beds?
« on: February 03, 2010, 22:36 »
new year's resolution of actually planning allotment rather than plonking plants in any available space is coming on nicely. 8) except that the spot i've got in mind for brassicas is where the potatoes went last year. whereas my book says i should be planting them where I had peas and beans last year (as they were planted on a pit of kitchen compost) (and which is where I'm extending the strawb bed to instead). or alternatively that i should have dug in compost in autumn (which i intended doing, but then it rained. then snowed. then it was Christmas. then more snow.). :ohmy:

so -- i have 4 "spare" bags of mushroom compost. would it be ok to dig/top dress the intended brassica beds with this, on the basis I won't be planting out til late spring? or am i too late, and should just sprinkle some lime on the patch and hope for the best?

last year's potatoes in this spot had a little composting earlier in the year and were mulched regularly with grass cuttings. our soil is clay, and quite wet at the moment. (hence wanting to top dress rather than dig).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: too late for mushroom compost on brassica beds?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 23:06 »
There is quite a bit of lime in the mushroom compost..I'd fork it in now, but make sure it's trodden firmly before you plant your brassicas.

Don't worry if you don't always get the 'this should go after this' bit right  :) as long as you are moving things around then they'll be fine :)

xx
Spent mushroom compost on my potato beds

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2022, 21:56
by Yorkie
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
xx
Brassica's....too late to rescue?

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 08:34
by DD.
xx
Late Brassica transplanting

Started by Doc_D on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 11:54
by Doc_D

Page created in 0.61 seconds with 38 queries.