followed by Broad beans

• 10 Replies

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
followed by Broad beans
« on: May 24, 2007, 07:11 »
Following my post about my peas here is my total of Broad Beans.  My ducks  got in the greenhouse as they were in flower and decimated the lot.  This is the final total, cleared them out for much needed space to put Courgettes and Cucumbers into.

The potatoes were pot grown too but what a dissapointing crop any ideas as to why I had so few?  Was I too early lifting them? what is the sign that they are ready for harvesting please don't want to make same mistake with my outdoor ones. There were plenty of roots but not many potatoes attached, they were grown in one of those big round (black dont know if colour is a problem) handy tubs in organic potting compost.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
followed by Broad beans
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 08:57 »
I suspect you would have had more potatoes if you left them longer.

Don't know why you were growing broad beans in a greenhouse, you must have a big greenhouse :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

slowef

followed by Broad beans
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 09:51 »
They have been in since January (potatoes) bit premature there so thought after this time there would have been more.

Same with Broad Beans they were so big because I planted them too early as well I thought I would try them in there as an extra early crop, shame Ducks thought otherwise!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
followed by Broad beans
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 10:12 »
I'd have expected more from the spuds - what variety are they? Having said that, my experience with potatoes is that  they don't do well under cover. All top and no tubers.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
followed by Broad beans
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 13:41 »
I've got some braod beans in the polytunnel John, and some runner beans, and peas, because I'm running out of room outside!!!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
followed by Broad beans
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 13:53 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
I've got some braod beans in the polytunnel John, and some runner beans, and peas, because I'm running out of room outside!!!!

Yeah but you like showing off :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
followed by Broad beans
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 14:42 »
The poor spuds may also of been due to the amount of light they had early on and the different temperatures between night and day!! just a thought. How many spuds did you grow?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

slowef

followed by Broad beans
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 18:57 »
There were about 6 potatoes to each tub they were in the greenhouse in light but some shade from the bench, cant remember what make they are

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
followed by Broad beans
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 21:06 »
thats probably not bad, I had 6 spuds from 2plants which I grew over the winter and took them out in feb.

Oliver

Spuds
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 21:27 »
I saw a friend's spuds recently - he grows his like this every year and they are very successful:
4 growbags. cut a hole like you would if you were going to plant tomatoes. then plant 3 spuds per bag. Plant them in January/February. Keep then in the poly or greenhouse - basically out of the frost.  (he keeps them on his staging, save him bending) and let them grow away. Then at the middle/end of May feel around and see how big the spuds are. Harvest those that are big enough and leave the rest. Move on up the bags in this way taking out what you need. By the time you get to the last bag, the first bag will have grown some more, ready for you to harvest. The beauty of this is that they don't get slugged and they don't get scab. I'll get her to get a picture to post up here.
Night night
Oliver - its very nice on my shed roof especially watching all the new plot holders working away!
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

slowef

followed by Broad beans
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 21:54 »
I am going to leave the other tub for a few more weeks and see if produces more potatoes, I did notice that a couple had rotted away to mush could this have had something to do with it or maybe they were at the bottom and just got too wet

I will put more drainage in next time

Has anyone grown potatoes in straw?  saw this in a garden mag and wondered what the amounts were like compared to tubs

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 36 queries.