• Global Moderator
Re: When to get back on the land
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 09:43 »
Even today I've still got snow on the shady parts of my plot :(

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 10:03 »
I have not been there much the last month or so - maybe once a week - as there was little to do as such apart from harvest more leeks and parsnips.

But I went yesterday and dug up the rest of the spuds - which were fine as I covered their area with fleece - and finished the winter carrots. And got rid of the brassica stalks, removed their netting and did a general tidy up for about an hour or so. All very low-key things to do and pleasant in their own way.

And did a general survey of the land - planning the location of the greenhouse, checking where this year's beds are going to be based on my "plan" etc...

"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 19:54 »
We've just aquired a half plot this week, first time up today. i started to tidy up and measured out to make some new compost bins. The soil looked and felt heavy with water so i left off any digging/raking. It has been winter dug by the previous owner so i'm assuming im ok for a few weeks?

Plenty of jobs to do such as clearing the paths, fixing the shed and installing the new compost bins to keep me busy!!!!

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 22:38 »
after rough digging and a bit of rotavating in the autumn this was left.......  I know have a fine crumbly tilth and if the weather had been better I would have had my shallots in BUT as it still far too wet I have black plastic'd the shallot bed to dry it out....  the potatoes should go in about mid march...... we'll see!  ???
Death OR Cake ???

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 08:51 »
I'm going to crack on - the weather down here has been pretty good and I want to get some compost  and manure into the area i've got planned for my spuds - I think the soil on my plot has been quite neglected for a while.
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

Elcie

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 08:54 »
This is one of the advantages of having raised beds with wood chip paths in between.  We can move around the plot quite easily whatever the weather is like.  Have spent the last 3 days there in all weathers getting the chicken run started and have noticed such a difference with how wet the grass paths between plots are and how muddy they are.  I can see how you could do some damage walking around a plot with grass/mud in this weather.

xx
How much land do you need?

Started by Knoblauch on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 12:49
by Eristic
xx
Land! What would you like to grow?

Started by Vit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 19:14
by Vit
xx
Land Seaweed ?

Started by Muls on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 21:32
by Tea Break
xx
Forums Land

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post November 08, 2010, 18:22
by dumpling

Page created in 0.896 seconds with 34 queries.