Wondrous day!

• 4 Replies

viettaclark

Wondrous day!
« on: February 01, 2010, 16:01 »
My psb grew like triffids last year and have survived the weather. We have been eating greens from the stalks all winter and they were looking top-heavy and rather weird.
Went down today and picked the start of the sprouting from the tops but discovered sprouts forming at every leaf join down the stalks!!! This is my first year of growing psb and the greens were delicious. Now I've got a glut of sprouting coming too I'm over the moon!
My fruit and nut trees arrived really quickly and we managed to get the 2 cobs in on Saturday but I was worried about frost, watering, pruning, staking, leaving the others in the porch etc. so I emailed them with a load of questions last night. Reply came today, no pruning to do and I DID buy the right apple rootstock (Quince A) so the trees will be low and bushy, and the walnut doesn't need a root bag because it's compact.
 I'm really impressed with the seller and I'm really pleased I haven't got to prune or stake!
Everything in the garden's rosy!

gillie

Re: Wondrous day!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 17:37 »
Quince  A is a pear rootstock.

Gillie

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 23:16 »
A walnut...I hope you have a big garden. There was one grew near us when I was a lad and it must have been 50-60 feet high!

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 00:26 »
You're quite right, Gillie and I've just written again. Probably a genuine mistake. (fingers crossed....maybe not such a wondrous day....)
I've been told the walnut doesn't need a root bag because it's a compact form. I'm sure they wouldn't have told me that otherwise. I don't want another huge tree in the garden cutting out light (although they're very beautiful)

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 00:25 »
Heard from the nursery...they apologised for the mistake....rootstock is MM106 which makes a bushy tree that you can keep pruned down to 8' or so. So still feeling happy! :D :D

xx
A wondrous thing

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 20, 2012, 22:22
by rowan57

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 36 queries.