Too late to lime?

• 15 Replies

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Too late to lime?
« on: February 01, 2010, 15:05 »
Hi

I've sent off for a PH tester and depending on the results would like to hear your opinions on whether it's too late to lime my plot?

I have yet to dig/rotavate.

Many thanks

Nick
Peak Hives

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Re: Too late to lime?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 16:04 »
Anyone?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 16:07 »
Quote from: Site Policies
Many of our members fine it irritating and rude when someone "BUMPS" their own post back to the top of the forum again, particularly after a short period.  Please bear this in mind and if your topic really has not been answered to your satisfaction try to rephrase the question or expand upon it !
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

crh75

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 16:08 »
Autumn is best time to use lime but I think anytime up to 2 weeks before planting will work.  

Do remember that PH testers are very in accurate, so don't put too much faith in the results you get.  If it is not roughtly neutral splash out on a proper test where you send off soil samples before you do anything.

Personally unless you are having difficulties with certain plants (eg brasicas) I wouldn't bother.  Organic matter will help make both acid and alkaline soils more neutral.  This would be my suggested "root".  :D

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 16:14 »
When planting brassica`s out a lot of people add a dusting of lime to the hole to help stop clubroot.

Shadrak

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 16:29 »
It's not to late fine to add it in spring.

crh75

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 16:35 »
When planting brassica`s out a lot of people add a dusting of lime to the hole to help stop clubroot.

Yes I know people do, but it always seems a bit pointless to me. If you have club root you'll know and you can add lime to help.  If you have no problems with brasicas you don't have club root and if some infected soil/plants come onto your plot a bit of lime is not going to stop the infection taking hold.

On the otherhand, a bit of lime is said to help cabbages heart up.  But the lime will need to be completely neutralised before the acid loving plants get planted (no problem if it is just a dusting).

There is not a definite right and wrong, but I would be cautious of trying too change the soil too much.  If you aren't having a problems then why try and fix it just because an pH tester told you to.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 22:22 »
Liming is not just about altering the PH or using it in the battle of clubroot, it also sweetens the land up, allowing certain nutrients to be released.
Personally I always lime my brassica bed, every year and the results speak for themselves, they say cauli's are difficult to grow on very sandy soil, not on ours. Yes you can lime now, I did my bed last week. Everyone who limes on our site grow some fantastic brassicas. Clubroot is also rife on our site.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 22:25 »
Quote from: Site Policies
Many of our members fine it irritating and rude when someone "BUMPS" their own post back to the top of the forum again, particularly after a short period.  Please bear this in mind and if your topic really has not been answered to your satisfaction try to rephrase the question or expand upon it !

'cos of course we might all be out on our plots or at work mid afternoon  :wacko:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

solway cropper

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 23:06 »
There's also different types of lime, some of which are fast acting and some not. If you use a slow acting one in spring you won't see much benefit from it that season. Anyway, as others say...it depends what you want to grow. Heavily limed soil won't give you much of a tattie crop.

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 23:31 »
Always lime my brassica beds, anytime from late autuem to early spring. Depends on when I manure though. Must admit that my primary reason for liming is because I'm on heavy clay and it helps to flocculate the soil rather than to prevent club root.

SS

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 08:25 »
Hi

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the 'bump'.

Where might I get hold of the fast acting lime type at a reasonable price?  Garden centres almost always charge too much for everything...

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 08:50 »
My local 99p shop has small boxes of lime. Having always grown in containers up to now, I'm a bit new to having to treat my soil - always got away with fresh compost before  -  the lime I got looks a little too granular to me to be"dusting" anything - will be more of a scattering :lol:

Would I be right in assuming that the more granular it is, the slower acting? Or have a bought the dregs of something that a decent garden shop would turn their noses up at? :unsure:

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 09:31 »
I think for the size of my plot I'll be needing a full size bag from Wickes or somewhere...where to get though?

TIA

Nick

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 09:58 »
I buy it 25kg at a time, this will last at least two seasons. On the grand scale of things it is not that expensive.

xx
Is it too late to lime?

Started by ally on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 22:08
by ally
xx
Too late to lime??

Started by cynthialala on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 16:05
by cynthialala
xx
too late to lime????

Started by ulsterfairy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 21:00
by seedman
xx
Too late to lime ?

Started by galen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2009, 20:10
by galen

Page created in 1.425 seconds with 37 queries.