mouldy flower bulbs

• 9 Replies

gardener247

• Experienced Member
mouldy flower bulbs
« on: January 31, 2010, 15:13 »
the mould is white on my stored gladiolis i didnt dry them properly last autum what can i do to keep them alive :ohmy:

penance

Re: mouldy flower bulbs
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 15:19 »
I'd get rid and buy new ones.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 15:21 »
If you can't bear to toss them, them make a very weak solution of peroxide and water, perhaps 1 tsp peroxide to 1 litre of water, dip the bulbs one at a time and rub gently, then let them all dry out, spread out on paper. Keep them in a well ventilated but not too cold area for a few weeks and they should be fine. If you notice any going mushy, bin them immediately.

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 15:30 »
thanks ill d that how long do i have to try save them b4 they need to b planted

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 15:38 »
If you give them a month to recover, then you can plant them out if all frost is gone or start them early in pots ready to go out later.

Also, it is difficult for many of our older members to read textspeak so if you could avoid it in future, we'd appreciate it.  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 15:41 »
I planted mine in March last year - try drying them out - let some air move around them but be prepared to add to the compost heap....

A new bag or two will soon multiply for the following year - another lesson learnt.  :(

That often tends to be the way I learn (from experience) - helps you remember!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DavidT

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 20:26 »
Just give them a dusting with sulphur powder. Green or yellow, it doesn`t matter.

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 20:53 »
i dont have these chemicals you are talking about and the bulbs are probably cheaper than the chemicals... is there anything i might have that would kill the fungus... i was thinking that fungus cant grow in the wrong ph so would a dipping in vinegar kill the fungus but not the bulbs

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 01:31 »
I've never found vinegar to do much other than lower the pH of whatever. Hydrogen peroxide is in most medicine cabinets and does a thorough but not lethal job of disinfecting. It's far better than bleach. A small bottle would come in  handy for this and other garden jobs, like wiping secateur blades so not to spread diseases, etc.

DavidT

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 20:10 »
i dont have these chemicals you are talking about and the bulbs are probably cheaper than the chemicals... is there anything i might have that would kill the fungus... i was thinking that fungus cant grow in the wrong ph so would a dipping in vinegar kill the fungus but not the bulbs
You can buy sulphur powder from your local garden centre for about £2. Only use vinegar for pickling your onions.

xx
Summer flower bulbs

Started by Pony Girl on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 19:20
by sunshineband
clip
Nodules on Flower Bulbs

Started by bobbyt on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2021, 20:10
by snowdrops
xx
bulbs that fail to flower

Started by Lulu on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 10:52
by LittleRedHen
sad
Mouldy cyclamen

Started by Optimistic Gardener on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 14:12
by New shoot

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 36 queries.