Is it me?

• 16 Replies

granjan

• Experienced Member
Is it me?
« on: January 26, 2010, 11:56 »
My son asked me what I wanted for my birthday which is imminent.  I said I liked a couple of bags of multi-purpose compost from B&Q.  I would like to try the B & Q compost as it's come out top in tests, the store is close to his home so it's easier for him and I would be like a pig in muck 'cause I'm itching to get sowing. ::)  He says it's not a proper present.

I asked my husband to make me a bookcase as I want one to fit a certain space with shelves that are big enough to take my gardening books.  He says he'll make me one anyway but it's not a proper present.

Is it me? :unsure:

viettaclark

Re: Is it me?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:14 »
I understand completely! They don't realise how important these things are to us!
Get son to get you the compost AND a nice big pot for the garden.
Get OH to build the shelves AND give you a book or magazine subscription.
Then they'll think they've bought something NICE.
Simples!
(If you're desperate to get seeding you could pay for the compost!)

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:27 »
Thanks for your support :)  I would get the compost (and will if I have to) but the store is about 9 or 10 miles away and just round the corner from him.  I didn't want him to spend much as he and his wife are expecting their first baby any day now.

I like your ideas though.  My youngest daughter has already bought me a subscription to Grow Your Own. 

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:37 »
My mother regularly had similair ideas and we appreciated being told what she wanted and what she would appreciate in terms of trouble and time if not always money. Bark chippings was a favourite.
My father in law often said the best birthday present he had was when me, wife and kids all descended on his garden, tidied it up, converted it to easier care and added bushes and trees etc and cleared away all the rubbish etc. We roped him in and we organised bacon butties, fish and chips at lunch and a take away in the evening. Calorie count was perhaps positive rather than neutral but we had a brilliant day. He continued to love the garden instead of coming to be scared of it getting beyond him. Kids learnt a lot as well.
he has passed away since and I keep the garden tidy but when I am up there that birthday always comes to mind. Proper present ?? I think so.

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:39 »
That's so special and very moving.

plum crumble

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 12:58 »
RichardA - that's so lovely! The best kind of present ever.
granjan I sympathise - I asked for a new kneeling pad and gloves, and various sizes of kilner jars for my chutney/jam making. Family thought I was mad. Think I will suggest a spring-clean session down the lottie when the weather improves enough for little grand-children. I can take on a bit of Richard's idea, as there is a chippie (we won't mention the 3 pubs) just outside the gates of the site. Lovely.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

madcat

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 13:28 »
I bribe OH into the heavy and/or back breaking work on the lottie with bacon butties! A brisk sunny day in the fresh air with hot, not tooo healthy, food makes for a great day out!  (Or so I tell him!   :D)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

savbo

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 14:04 »
there is a chippie (we won't mention the 3 pubs) just outside the gates of the site. Lovely.

I though our allotment site was wonderful but I now see the grass is greener... :)

M

(but it is only 5 mins walk - on way back to house - to pub selling timmy taylors and a chippy that dosn't use frozen...)

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 14:17 »
I'm still waiting for trailer loads of manure for the past 2 Christmas's and Mother's Day.

Just as it doesn't seem a "proper pressie" doesn't mean I don't want it. (part of the deal is help in wheelbarrowing it up the garden).

Agree RichardA, a big family effort and gathering is more memorable than an expensive gift.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 14:45 »
The best present to give someone is what will please them and make them happy, not what makes the giver happy. Sadly, non gardening folk just don't get the thrill of special potting mix, or shelves for garden supplies/books/whatever. My sis asked what I particularly wanted for Christmas, and me being short of cash, said a big bag of potting mix. For her it was logical as she works in a garden centre  :happy: For birthdays I always get a gorgeous potted rose as they're my weakness.

GreenOwl

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 14:48 »
Its definitely not you Granjan.

My brother asked me if there was anything he could do to help when I was heavily pregnant with my husband in hospital.  I asked him to turn the compost heap.....  

He didn't do it of course because he didn't think it was important.  It was bugging me so it was important.!

madcat

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 18:34 »
Fire him!  You need a new brother!  Tch!!! >:(

GreenOwl

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 12:34 »
Fire him!  You need a new brother!  Tch!!! >:(

Tell me about it!    :mad:

Me father turned the compost heap in the end and told me off about the shredded paper in it (just 'cause he doesn't put shredded paper in his! :blink: ) Still it got turned.  (and husband came out of hospital, baby arrived a week later etc).  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:42 by GreenOwl »

purplebean

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 12:40 »
Its definitely not you Granjan.

My brother asked me if there was anything he could do to help when I was heavily pregnant with my husband in hospital.  I asked him to turn the compost heap.....  

He didn't do it of course because he didn't think it was important.  It was bugging me so it was important.!

You were heavily pregant with your husband  :ohmy: ::)

GreenOwl

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 12:42 »
You were heavily pregant with your husband  :ohmy: ::)

:D He's still pregnant!

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 36 queries.