Gooseberry replacement suggestions

• 11 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Gooseberry replacement suggestions
« on: January 25, 2010, 21:54 »
I have a bed filled with fruit bushes, a mixture of sweet/cooking gooseberries, blackcurrant, redcurrant and quince. The two sweet gooseberry bushes have for the last few years been devastated by sawfly. I don't like to use chemical sprays but without those I haven't been able to make any serious dent in the sawfly, so I think my best option is to pull those bushes up and plant something else in the space. Luckily, the cookers are at the opposite end of the bed and haven't been touched (yet). Hopefully, if the gooseberries are removed for a couple of years the sawfly will give up and go elsewhere. I wouldn't mind another redcurrant bush (I only have one and I have to share it with the birds) but I believe sawfly go for those too, don't they?

Can anyone suggest another type of fruit bush I can put in the space? I'd like blueberries, but I don't have acid soil so I doubt they'd do well. I have plenty of blackberry bushes in the hedgerow and I have a row of raspberry canes in another bed, plus an assortment of apples, pears, cherry and golden gage. I'm on clay soil and I'd like it to be something fairly hardy. Any suggestions?

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Re: Gooseberry replacement suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:49 »
Seems like you have quite a collection of fruit trees/bushes, cant realy think, maybe grape?  :unsure:
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

gillie

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:06 »
How about a loganberry or Tayberry?  I don't think gooseberry sawfly attacks red currants, but they may well move on to your cooking gooseberry bushes.  Try to net red currants, even if it is just a piece of net draped over the bush it will help.

Gillie

stompy

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:24 »
I have the same problem on my site. :mad:
After one attack the plant only just recovered.
I use fleece now from when it begins to bud until about august, it's working for me so far And the bushes have been flourishing for the last two years  :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 13:38 »
Seems like you have quite a collection of fruit trees/bushes, cant realy think, maybe grape?  :unsure:

Don't they need to climb up something? I couldn't really do that in this space, it's in the middle of a bed.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 13:44 »
How about a loganberry or Tayberry?  I don't think gooseberry sawfly attacks red currants, but they may well move on to your cooking gooseberry bushes.  Try to net red currants, even if it is just a piece of net draped over the bush it will help.

Gillie

I don't think I've ever tasted either or those. Do they grow as bushes, without support? What do they taste like? And are they self fertile or do you need more than one?

I did net my bushes once, a few years back, and when I went to check them a few days later I found a dead chaffinch that had been entangled in the net. I've never netted them again :(

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 13:52 »
I have the same problem on my site. :mad:
After one attack the plant only just recovered.
I use fleece now from when it begins to bud until about august, it's working for me so far And the bushes have been flourishing for the last two years  :D

I think these bushes are past saving, they look pretty sad right now, though I would plant new dessert gooseberries if not for the sawfly. And I think these are pretty old bushes too. We didn't plant them and I'd think they must be 20 years old. I read somewhere that the sawfly larvae live in the ground beneath the bush and not even birds will eat them, so I just assumed it wouldn't be safe to plant another gooseberry there. How does fleece work if the sawfly are going from the ground up to the plant?

gillie

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 14:01 »
I have just discovered that Nemasys Caterpillar and Codling Moth Killer will control gooseberry sawfly.  This is not a chemical spray, but a living organism.

Tayberries and Loganberries are very similar and are long cane plants that need some support and training.  The fruit are like huge very sweet blackberries cropping before the wild blackberries are ready.  They are self fertile.

Gillie

stompy

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 14:12 »
Gather the fleece under the bottom of the bush and tie it off (simple bow) with string.
Then just untie it to harvest.
I tend to take it off when ever i go down to the plot to let a bit more air around the bush, it only takes a few seconds to do, then put it back on before you leave.
I had a great crop of red gooseberrys last year so i made 2 demijons of wine  ;)

If the plants are 20 years old i would replace them anyhow.
They will be way past their best, you could take hardwood cutting from them if you like the variety, or wait until the end of feb beggining of march and all the supermarkets and wilkinsons get bare root plants in for about £1.50 a plant.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 15:11 »
You could plant blueberry bushes in large pots or half barrels (with ericaceous compost) and half sink them into the beds among your other fruit bushes?
Rachael

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 17:57 »
You could plant blueberry bushes in large pots or half barrels (with ericaceous compost) and half sink them into the beds among your other fruit bushes?

That sounds like a nice idea. How big would the container need to be? And would I  need to change/top up the compost every year or feed it?

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 23:05 »

That sounds like a nice idea. How big would the container need to be? And would I  need to change/top up the compost every year or feed it?

Hmmm... now you're asking - I've just bought my first blueberries this year so have no experience but I would reckon to put them in the biggest pot that is practical, and maybe line it with plastic if it's porous, then you won't have to water it too often. As to feeding, don't really know - hopefully someone more knowledgable will know....

xx
Is it too late to set replacement seeds ?

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 08:40
by Sleepingpopman
xx
First early replacement potatos

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 09, 2022, 11:31
by Grubbypaws
xx
Hispi cabbage replacement

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2019, 14:24
by jaydig
xx
roottrainer replacement books

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 10:29
by little sweetpeas

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 37 queries.