Mantis 4 stroke advice

• 10 Replies

Babycat

• Experienced Member
Mantis 4 stroke advice
« on: January 25, 2010, 21:11 »
so at the risk of having my head bitten off for not gardening 'the real way',  I have decided to bring in some motorised help.  My shoulder is kaput and it is either this or give up the lottie altogether, which I am not keen on.

I like the look of the mantis 4 stroke but was wondering if anyone here had any first hand experience.

PS my plot is a measly 10ft x 40ft (give or take, its hard to tell for the weeds). the only permanent plants are my raspberries and goosies.  I dont have a shed so need to put the mantis in the car for each visit.

Help much appreciated.
"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Mantis 4 stroke advice
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 22:06 »
I've got a 2 stroke and it's the biz to be honest, digs well leaves a lovely tilth. Nice and light too easy to pack away. The 4 stroke will have the added advantage of not having to mix the petrol with oil.
They do pull quite a bit though as you have to walk backwards for them to dig, I would try and get a "go" with one before you buy though. If you buy them from mantis I believe they are still offering a 12 months no quibble G'tee so you can return them if not happy.

Just one thing like all rotovotors  they don't do well on soil that's too wet, you can dig damper soil than you can with a Mantis.
If you lived near me I'd say come and have a go with mine but your a little far  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 05:35 »
I'm not going to bite your head off either!
A damaged back means that I can't dig the allotment by hand, so I have a small Ryobi tiller. The mantis is a great little machine, I haven't used the four stroke, but have used the two stroke machine. I found it light, easy to start and use, and very reliable.
As Richie says, it would be well worth seeing if they are still doing the trial, go on, give it a go! :)

noshed

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 15:51 »
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 15:36 »
I have a mantis 4 stroke. Very pleased with it. Nice to be able to just "get on" when the soil is right, rather than hiring something in.

Bought mine from the Mantis Factory Outlet (or whatever it is called) on eBay - basically machines that have come back from their returns-promise, I think.

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 06:58 »
Mines a second hand 2 stroke, if I was buying new I would,ve gone for a 4 stroke. I've only had mine a year but I love it. It took me little while to get used to using it but I can't use it at the mo as the plot is frozen :(

neal

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 19:47 »
I have the Honda FG 110 very similar in size and a great light weight machine
and you walk forward with it and the price was less than the Mantis.
The Mantis also has the same honda engine.

Babycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 08:07 »
Mantis arrived this week and now it's raining  >:( and  :tongue2:

Rich - do you use it to clear weeds as well as dig? have you got any attachments? the edging tool looks like a ninja star!

PS - if anyone reads this one day after doing a web search....if you are not handy at putting things together,  it might be worth paying the thirty quid for assembly.  It was a bit fiddly to be honest.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 09:15 »
It'll clear weeds too, but it has it's limitations for that job.
Easy things are seedlings & small low growers it'll do them no problem.
Tall weeds need mowing down low before you start else they just wrap around the tines. 

southwells farm

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 09:38 »
I'm a bit late on the advice front but i have a 10 rod allotment and only managed to dig half of it in my first year (thats being kind to myself really!) because of work i get very little time at the plot so i got a Honda FG200, i can now get on with the "growing" side of things :)

Best bit of kit ive ever had, mines the 4 stroke version so it's pretty quite too.

And like you i'm very frustrated by the wet weather!

Babycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 19:38 »
thank you all for your comments - unless it stops raining though I will be posting rice paddy questions though...

xx
Just got me a 4-stroke Mantis

Started by slow_worm on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 20:23
by slow_worm
xx
Mantis 2 stroke Misfiring

Started by pompeyboy61 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 07:35
by Gwiz
xx
Mantis Tiller 2 Stroke Bargain

Started by John on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 19:40
by John
xx
2 stroke mantis tiller query

Started by m1ckz on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post August 01, 2012, 12:33
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 37 queries.