Jostaberry

• 4 Replies

brianh

Jostaberry
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:07 »
Hello all you fruit experts.

I hae inherited a garden this year with various fruit bushes including gooseberries and redcurrants which are doing very well.

I also have what I first thought was a large blackcurrant bush. It is going to have a massive crop by the look of things. The berries are still green but I recently started to think they were getting too big to be blackcuurrants and now they have the characterstic veiny sort of markings of gooseberries. After studying pictures in 'The Fruit Expert' book I now think I may have a Jostaberry which I had never before heard of and is a cross between a gooseberry and a blackcurrant., the fruit being about twice the size ofa normal blackcurrant.

Do any of you have a Jostaberry - any ideas what I can do with all the berries as there are going to be a lot?
Brian

Sheena

• Experienced Member
Jostaberry
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:46 »
Hi Brian,

My friend has a Josataberry bush on her allotment, the berries look like gooseberry sized blackcurrants. I'm not sure what they taste like but I guess you could use them in the same way as other berries, for puddings and the like. I don't know if they are sweet enough to eat on their own.

Sorry, that wasn't much help at all!
Organic :)

WG.

Jostaberry
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 10:16 »
I'd never even heard of them but I searched google for Jostaberry recipe and plenty ideas came up for you there; wines, jams, etc

Click here

splodger

Jostaberry
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 13:12 »
my dad has several bushes of a black gooseberry.

they are so delicious - the birds pinch the lot before they are ripe - so net them.

i'm having 1 for my lottie in the autumn.

i don't know if these are jostaberry - these bushes are just like gooseberries but with no thorns - the fruit are just like black gooseberries and they really are delicious.

brianh

Jostaberry
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 15:09 »
Thanks everyone. Jam sounds like the way to go to deal with most of them! I'm looking forward to a new fruit experience in a few weeks time.

From your desciption Splodger your bushes sound like my Jostaberry, if that is what I have.

It seems surprising this fruit isn't more well know and more widely grown, by all accounts it crops heavily, is highly disease resistant, and is a tasty, useful and nuritious fruit.

xx
jostaberry

Started by craggy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 22:37
by new_2_veg
xx
Jostaberry

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 29, 2007, 17:04
by gobs
xx
Jostaberry...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post January 04, 2013, 05:46
by Growster...
xx
JOSTABERRY HELP

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 22:40
by tode

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 36 queries.