potato variety

• 11 Replies

daffodil

potato variety
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:43 »
please has anyone any ideas on good potatoes to grow for good size all rounders that do all except chip and store well?  many thanks.  ps live in north yorkshire :)

compostqueen

Re: potato variety
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39 »
Going by what all the plotters grow as a good all rounder on our site I'd say Kestrel

plum crumble

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:45 »
Deffo Kestrel, and Maris Peer isn't bad either - makes lovely roasties, and stores well - I am just finishing my final sack off now (note to self - plant more spuds this year!!). I have had no storage problems at all - although the cold winter has probably helped that. Maris Peer is good if doing earlier pickings as "new potatoes", but then will get to a good size if left in the ground for longer. I got a little bit of scab, but not much slug or wireworm damage from leaving them in longer.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 13:09 »
I got a little bit of scab, but not much slug or wireworm damage from leaving them in longer.

Shouldn't you have considered going to see your GP about that Plum?  :dry: :D
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

plum crumble

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 13:24 »
I got a little bit of scab, but not much slug or wireworm damage from leaving them in longer.

Shouldn't you have considered going to see your GP about that Plum?  :dry: :D

now that's NORTY! (Aunty, where are you?)  :lol:  :lol: I am now visualising a Benny Hill moment, with a line of people running round and round an allotment with various implements in hand (oh no, what have I just said - again!!)  :wacko:

daffodil

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 13:27 »
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR READING THIS AND YOUR HELP! Will def go for kestre and Maris Peer :) :) :) :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 13:50 »
Daffodill, are you on an allotment site or growing in your garden? The reason I ask if on site, then ask around what grows well in your ground. Its amazing the difference in results, last year I wanted a good jacket spud, on my old site eld arry always swore by cara, now on my new site, few miles upth road, eld bob says picasso, now picasso is a variant of carra i am lead to beleive, but the difference was massive in terms of size and quantity, piccasso beat cara by the country mile.
I would suggest you also ask at your local garden center as well if thats where you get your seed spuds from.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

plum crumble

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 13:57 »
Good answer Aidy!! A couple of people had fabulous crops from Red Rooster on our site last year - thinking of trying a few myself. But Cara didn't do well at all, though I know if is a great variety.

JohnB47

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 13:57 »
Deffo Kestrel, and Maris Peer isn't bad either - makes lovely roasties, and stores well - I am just finishing my final sack off now (note to self - plant more spuds this year!!). I have had no storage problems at all - although the cold winter has probably helped that. Maris Peer is good if doing earlier pickings as "new potatoes", but then will get to a good size if left in the ground for longer. I got a little bit of scab, but not much slug or wireworm damage from leaving them in longer.

I'm planning to put down a small number of first and second earlies (Lady Crystal and Charlotte maybe) and grow King Edward again this year (planted those last year - pretty good for a late sowing and the Missus wants me to grow them again). But I'm wondering - like you say about Maris Peer, are there other varieties that can be dug early as a 'new potato' but left in the ground for later, larger, spuds?

I was thinking of growing Picasso - can these be dug early if the King Edwards aren't ready and the earlies have been used up?

Ta.

zazen999

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 14:47 »

I'm planning to put down a small number of first and second earlies (Lady Crystal and Charlotte maybe) and grow King Edward again this year (planted those last year - pretty good for a late sowing and the Missus wants me to grow them again). But I'm wondering - like you say about Maris Peer, are there other varieties that can be dug early as a 'new potato' but left in the ground for later, larger, spuds?

I was thinking of growing Picasso - can these be dug early if the King Edwards aren't ready and the earlies have been used up?

Ta.

Yes, Kestrels can be taken as earlies small, and left in the ground as mains. Plus they are really slug resistant so you get few holes in them. The best all rounder [IMHO]

JohnB47

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 19:14 »

Ta.

Yes, Kestrels can be taken as earlies small, and left in the ground as mains. Plus they are really slug resistant so you get few holes in them. The best all rounder [IMHO]

Thanks. I'll look into that.

daffodil

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 20:27 »
am on an allotment - can't believe how much discussion get from a small question.  thanks again for your help - am off to garden centre to choose, bearing in mind all your help :)

xx
potato variety ?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2022, 16:28
by AnneB
xx
what variety of Potato?

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 21:34
by MoreWhisky
xx
Potato Variety

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 23:15
by GrannieAnnie
clip
what variety is this potato please

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2017, 15:12
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 37 queries.