growing carrots

• 48 Replies

digalotty

Re: growing carrots
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 21:50 »
i was told that if you crush garlick into a watersprayer and leave it to soak,  you can then use the spray to mask the smell,   so i tried this last year on my carrot in pots, the smell was so pungent that i stopped using it and just lifted the pots up on a trestle.
i did have carrots and they here all fine
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 11:36 »
has anyone any experience of the fly resistant strains of carrot like 'Resistafly' by Marshalls?

Cheers

:)
Best Regards,

spud

Fisherman

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 11:47 »
No but I have used Flyaway from Unwins for the last 2 years and they weren’t bothered at all with root fly. However I planted a different type (no resistance) mid year and they were attacked along with an adjacent crop of parsnips. I suspect this year even the Fyaway may get attacked due to build up of the little critters in the plot. Even though they have some resistance to carrot root fly they are still prone to attack I believe but generally less damage occurs. I may even use enviromesh over them this year as an additional precaution.

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 18:27 »
i use heavy mulch to stop carrot fly my biggest probleem is they are always bendy and hard to peel, does anybody have any ideas how to stop this

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 19:52 »
Hi, i used debris netting on my carrots last year, i covered them from sowing to lifting and not a trace of carrot fly. Some people spray with garlic but i don't know if that works.

solway cropper

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 20:59 »
If you sow early and late you can avoid most of the fly problems. I sow a stump rooted variety in tubs in March and a maincrop in late June/July and generally get good crops. From what I understand it's the sowings made in April/may that suffer the most as that is the peak period for fly activity. Also, if you have to thin them do it in the evening and firm back the soil when you've done it.

penance

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 21:13 »
i use heavy mulch to stop carrot fly my biggest probleem is they are always bendy and hard to peel, does anybody have any ideas how to stop this

Yes, dont mulch them heavily ;)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 22:26 »

Carrots go bendy when they are drying out which suggests that your heavy mulch is denying them water. Out of interest what type of mulch did you use?

I netted my carrots but tall weeds lifted the nets and the fly made its mark. I was thinking of using sawdust as a mulch but that can form a crust when wet, so I was thinking of adding wood ash which may prevent that.

I have looked at enviromesh but the cost of one length is the equivalent of 40 bags of carrots, and it only covers two rows. I am looking to grow at least six rows, so I have to find a cheaper method.

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 22:55 »
I usually grow around 4 long rows of Autumn King carrots - nearly always get some damage by carrot fly but, despite lifting last of crop as late as March, a veg peeler removes the worst when they are prepared for cooking so I don't worry too much about cf damage.. most damage is only within the surface layer - big carrots are still very useable.

Grew some resistafly too this year - far less damage but that may be partly due to this being a later sown crop.

Other than that no protection although a row of spring onions (by chance) along the wind-ward side...
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 23:34 »
has anyone any experience of the fly resistant strains of carrot like 'Resistafly' by Marshalls?

Cheers

I grew Resistafly last year, as it was my first year on an allotment I thought I'd give everything the best chance of suceeding.

I think I had a good crop, still pulling them out now, although I've nothing to compare with. I do know that a nearby plot did suffer severely!
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 07:24 »

I have looked at enviromesh but the cost of one length is the equivalent of 40 bags of carrots, and it only covers two rows. I am looking to grow at least six rows, so I have to find a cheaper method.

Don't know how long your rows are & carrots must be quite cheap around your way, as you can get a 10m x 2.6m piece, for about £35. I know it still sounds expensive, but it should last at least 7 years - that's only £5 a year for carrots tasting better than those in a bag.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 10:44 »
Thank you, thats enough evidence for me to try a resistant varriety. In the past even my early sowings seemed to suffer damage ... and a late sowing just seems to run out of growing time and amount to nought.

Cheers

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 10:47 »
Just remember - they are fly resistant - not proof, as some one has posted on a reent thread that I can't find now!

compostqueen

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 12:47 »
Best crop of carrots I grew was in home made compost and no soil at all. I added leafmould and builders sand which was handy.  I did cover the lot with Enviromesh.  I know it's dear but it will last forever. I buy lengths of it when I can afford it  :)

I don't grow carrots out on the open plot at all as I don't dig, so only grow on raised beds.  I have done very well with Flakkee and Chantenays, oh and Nantes

Mr B

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 13:47 »
Hi All,
     My plot is my back garden which is 25' wide and 60' long, surrounded on 3 sides with a 4' 6" wall and the house the other end, unless there is something else that is whiteish in colour, around 3/8" long that eats carrots then the carrot fly here in Salisbury must have learnt to 'fly high' as my crop was quite badly hit this year ( just finished digging up the last ones). This time last year where I grew them was a lawn so they could not have been in the soil.
Regards,
Chris

xx
growing Carrots

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 20:50
by gobs
xx
growing carrots

Started by sonofdelboy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 17:49
by DD.
xx
Will the carrots keep growing?

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 15:55
by DD.
xx
Growing carrots

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 21:43
by Trillium

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 36 queries.