Runner beans

• 4 Replies

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
Runner beans
« on: January 18, 2010, 18:25 »
I am just planning where to grow everything and the spot I want to put my runner beans in doesn't get a huge amount of sunshine, probably about 2/3 hours a day of early morning sun.  Would this be enough or do they like a lot of sunshine (don't we all!)  In the past I've grown them on a west facing site but this is east facing.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Runner beans
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 19:05 »
My spot for runners only gets sun for a couple of hours in the afternoon and they grew just fine last year...great yield :)

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 19:08 »
A tough one to reply to.  I reckon that they'd be about 40% under compared to a really sunny spot.  However, have also noticed that runners grown in the maximum sunny area, sometimes grow too quicky, so you end up with shorter but mature beans, this happens after the initital first 2 or 3 weeks harvest.

My shaded area beans are really welcome at the end of the season, as due to less indirect sunlight they grow slower, albeit less plentiful, but runners at the end of the seasonal glut always taste the best  ;)

Suggest you try some french beans, eg Cosse Violette in a wigwam of 12 sticks to keep you going (that will do a family of 2 - 4) until the runners kick in.

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:48 »
Thanks for this, will give it a try and see what happens.  Will be growing dwarf beans so hopefully it will spread the glut out a bit more which would be nice!

Will report back later in the year

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 13:50 »
Before I built myself a "permanent" Munty frame for runner beans I used to grow them in the traditional double row, which ran more or less north-south. I noticed that when the row was near my 6' hedge (on the east side) there were far fewer beans on that side compared with the west-facing side. Siting the row in the middle of the plot produced an even crop (but of course cast a shadow over part of the plot for half the day!)

On the other hand Jodie A might well have a point about extending the picking season by holding back the growth, although I also agree that the total crop would probably be less.

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans or french beans?

Started by rivkele on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 09:34
by rivkele

Page created in 0.868 seconds with 38 queries.