HOUSE TRAINED CHICKEN ???????

• 19 Replies

alotment lad

HOUSE TRAINED CHICKEN ???????
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:27 »
RIGHT  where do i start . ....

i have been reading loads and loads of threeds on this forum. and people saying they have chickens in side when there ill and so on so on. ..... 

does anyone have any chickens that live in the house all the time ?????

if so  can they be house trained as such ????

as if i had a chook in the house if it had a poo on the floor my miss would most likely pack my bags and the chickens lol. 

anyone got a house trained chicken ??? if so how ???

look forward to hearing if it can be done .

dizzylizzie

Re: HOUSE TRAINED CHICKEN ???????
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:35 »
i dont think you can house train a chicken , but i believe you can buy nappies :D.....they were on an american site (of course) :D
On a more serious not tho, i have brought sick/unwel chickens into the house, i think most of us have, but would it be right to want to keep a healthy chicken in so much of the time that you would need or want to house train it?
we have tiles/wooden floors so kitchen roll and a mop and bucket sorts it quickly enough when they do venture in, but most people on here would want their healthy chickens outside scratching and dustbathing :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:45 »
I had my cockerel in when he was very pooly, he lived in a cardboard box for his bed inside a dog cage. Underneath the cage I put a strong thick piece of board and hemcore on top of this. I cleaned the whole thing out daily and disinfected  with a spray suitable for caged birds. When they are ill it is fine for them to come in until they are over the worse but then it would be best if they go outside although some do end up staying inside as they are too fragile  :)
I'm sure if your bird was ill your o/h would understand - mine did (I think he realized that if the cockerel had to go outside then he would also have to move out)  :lol: I'm a very cruel woman  :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

alotment lad

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:57 »
im not saying i would have a chicken in my house 24/7 ,  i was just wondering if any one has the door open in house and let there chickens  walk around  and if they have problem with the mess.   or weather the chicken would tend not to go . ??? who knows i dont lol.     

ok maybe its just early  and i was haveing a cuppa thinking of random things . maybe its time for me to go give my chooks dinner down the lottie . il see you later   ilbe back :-)

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 11:59 »
I have to shut mine out as they come in and try nicking the dogs food (and the dogs hate that), did once find one upstairs in the bathroom  :lol:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:03 »
I have to shut mine out as they come in and try nicking the dogs food (and the dogs hate that), did once find one upstairs in the bathroom  :lol:

hope they put the loo seat down :D :D, thats dead funny!

i leave my door open, and if i dont, the little so-an-so's tap on the door :D

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:08 »
she missed the loo and went all over the floor the little madam  :lol:

scrappydoo

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 13:31 »
she missed the loo and went all over the floor the little madam  :lol:
:) Hi Joyfull, I don't wanna give us blokes a bad name but surely if it missed the loo & went all over the floor :tongue2:, my OH would have said:  :mad: it must have been a cockerel not a chook? :D

Best Regards

Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 13:34 »
 :lol: :lol:

ehs284

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 13:54 »
Come on now:- they know how to use the bathroom.
Actually keeping them out of the house is a problem. They (all 9 of them) love to stand in front of the Aga. This picture was taken when I was working in the kitchen and heard a lot of noise in the bathroom. They'd got in through the bedroom French window. Once in the bath she couldn't get out!
No. they're lovely, but poo too much to allow in the house unless sick. When sick we put a card down in a large box and remove the contents several times a day.
As for training- they are dedicated to training us, not the other way round, and they're succeeding. :D
IMG_0068 (600 x 450).jpg

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 13:57 »
Wot no bubble bath?  :lol: :lol:

SamT

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 14:50 »
Mine always try to get in through the patio door, if I leave it open a smidge while I go out into the garden there is one who is just small enough to squeeze through.  When it was warmer out and I wanted to leave the door open for breeze I put one of those washing racks up in the gap like a baby gate to stop them coming in, mind you they are a bit bigger now they might be able to jump high enough to get over it this year.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 15:01 »

They were such polite visitors they stayed where they were until it was time to go ...

:D
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

dizzylizzie

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 18:13 »
We had a member on here from Kings Lynn - his name was Ollie (username - alotment shed).  We had to ban him as he was a pain and kept his birds in less than good conditions.  He may be near you.

Ha ha ha ha ha -say it like it is ;)

viettaclark

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 00:08 »
My little madams pecked at the kitchen door which was starting to rot at the bottom where the cat-flap is (probably copying the cats) Next thing I know I've got to get the "bloke who comes and mends things" in because there's NOTHING left of the weather board and holes everywhere! They know it's the kitchen and really want to get in to the heaven where treats come from!
Luckily he could patch it up without buying a new door but I also got him to fix up a gate at the end of the sideway. They managed to limbo under that so adjustments had to be made.
They now come running when they hear the turn of the back door handle and line up looking positively hard-done-by (with a rapacious glint in the eye)
I will be able to leave the back door open in the summer, now!!!
Let's just see how long it takes them to realise they could probably fly OVER the gate.....
Don't you love 'em?!!!!

xx
Can chooks be trained? / which egg laying breed for 1st timers?

Started by HeliFella on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 16:10
by ehs284
xx
Chicken house

Started by speedy chicken on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 19:32
by Vember
xx
Where to buy chicken house?

Started by Donnay on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 09:16
by GrannieAnnie
xx
which chicken and what house

Started by mumof4 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 09:23
by mumof4

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 37 queries.