Clearing a very over grown allotment

• 9 Replies

Shacks

Clearing a very over grown allotment
« on: January 17, 2010, 21:06 »
Hello,

I have just taken on a small allotment.  It hasn't been worked for years.  There were a number of Sycamore trees growing amongst the waist high brambles.  There is also a pile of stuff dumped,  and amongst the bramble and couch grass there is ivy all over, the bindweed has all died back, although I expect it to start growing again in the Spring.  The ground is uneven where foxes have been digging, so it’s going to take a lot of hard work.

I have cut down to about 12 inches above ground 8 Sycamore trees all with a stump diameter of about 4 - 5 inches and someone else has also chopped one down which has a 9 inch diameter stump.

My question is this, is there a machine which can remove the stump and root system of these sycamore tree's or am I going to have to dig them out by hand?

Many thanks

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Clearing a very over grown allotment
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 21:17 »
Welcome to the site Shacks. Great you have a plot now and it sounds like you are making an energetic start  :D

You could get a stump grinder to deal with thr tree stumps but it won't take out the root system I'm sorry to say.

If you don't mind, could you add your whereabouts to your profile please, as then any comments about veg etc will be better amtched to local conditions, and you might find there are other members nearby too  :) :) :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Shacks

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 21:36 »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I have updated my profile, I am based in Greater London and Surrey borders. Merton to be exact.

I thought about hiring a stump grinder but decided it would be a waste of money if it didn't tackle the roots.  Goning on the size of the tree above ground I am expecting that their root system will be equally extensive. 

The plot has no boundaries, shed or anything useful, that I have found so far, so I will need to get a shed soon, once I have cleared some ground to put it on.

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 21:41 »
Welcome!  :) Sounds like you have quite a bit to do before you can even get to the soil!

Good luck with it! Remember not to overwork yourself.. Ill admit to suffering with quite a bad back after my first few sessions at the allotment!

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 06:11 »
Sounds like your where i was only a year ago, get to work and im sure you will ge some good results this year we did last year.  I had exactly what you discribe above there is some pics on the web link over there<----------
Thanks
Kris

savbo

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:09 »
I know it counds a bit extreme but if I was trying to get roots that size out I think I'd consider hiring a mini-excavator and operator (worth the extra getting an expert, I've operated them myself and I'm VERY slow!). They'd probably get the job done in half a day - will make a right mess of the ground but so will a stump grinder

M

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:59 »
Welcome to the site and good luck.

If your allotment society allows it, and check with them before you rent, a digger would be a good idea and I agree that you'll need a pro to get the best out of the rental.  I've seen drivers put chains around old stumps and use the digger like an old fashioned stump puller.  You'll have the digger to hit those brambles as well so it can be money well spent.

Hand digging will always get rid of most of your problems but it is such a drag to do that sort of digging over what sounds like most of your plot.  It will be difficult over the winter and it will take ages.  If you can't swing the digger option I’ve always been a firm advocate of the allotment party invite.  How are your friends likely to respond to a beer and bacon buttie fuelled call to arms?  Make sure they bring the kids too.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

GreenOwl

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 14:08 »
A tractor, using chains, should be able to pull the stumps out - if you can get one on the plot.  That will pull a lot of the roots out as well.

Good luck.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 18:00 »
I have a section that is being tackled this year with the same problem.  The tree stump is about 7 inches across, so it must have been a fair size tree at some point.

My plan is to clear down to the subsoil 5 feet all around and use a pair of heavy duty cutters (and a saw) to remove all the roots that are not embedded into the hard pan about 2 feet down.  I will then fill in the hole afterwards.  Any roots that are in the topsoil will then be cleared, and the rest can stay in situ.

This is going to have ot wait until the ground dries out though....

Shacks

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 22:21 »
Thank you all for your replies.

I have looked into cost of hiring equipment, but I only have 5 rods and it still seems very expensive.

I think I will dig a patch 5 foot square see what I hit and then make a decision.  I will start at the end where there are no trees, and see how far the roots have spread, that will be the indicator to hire or not to hire.

What Jay wrote regarding only removing the roots in top 2 feet makes sense and I think I will adopt this approach.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply it’s much appreciated.

xx
allotment clearing

Started by alexroyall85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 07:32
by cadalot
xx
allotment clearing

Started by alexroyall85 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post August 11, 2013, 21:40
by Aunt Sally
xx
Clearing My Allotment

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 19:09
by Kristen
question
Clearing Allotment

Started by ember on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 13:23
by Wild Pony

Page created in 0.915 seconds with 36 queries.