Onion Seeds and a bit of lettuce

• 23 Replies

zazen999

Re: Onion Seeds and a bit of lettuce
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 08:36 »
Ok.

Decided what to do.

They stay in the heated prop for a couple of days just to get frost out of the compost and then I'll move them to a window cill.

I'd be interested in hearing your views on the recommended sowing date for seed onions though.  I'm certain I was told Jan by experienced allotmenters up here in the Peak yet the article DD pointed me to suggested March/April

Thanks

Nick

a - frost in the compost?
b - you can sow anytime between Dec and April; depending on where you are and what facilities you have/what you want to do. I sow a pinch into small pots/modules a few pots at a time from late Dec, and once they are germinated they go into an unheated greenhouse. During March/April, I have loads of tender stuff being sown so I want my onions well on the way by then. So - as soon as one pot is taken outdoors, I sow another. Once they are getting going, and I need the greenhouse space, I'll take them to the lottie on my bike and put them in the mini-greenhouse there until they go into their final positions.

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 10:41 »
Aunt Sally.  Did you read the RHS page?  There's no mention of when to sow 'onion' seed...oh and they say use heat!

Nick
Peak Hives

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 10:55 »
RHS: Sow onion seed 13mm (0.5in) deep in rows 20cm (8in) apart from late February through to early April. ........
For an earlier crop, or in cold regions, it is better to sow seed in cell trays, modules or pots indoors with gentle heat.

In this case if you want to start early IMO the window ledge, inside would adequately provide thegentle heat suggested.
As already said if you start them off too warm  too early you will have problems when it is time to move them on.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 11:00 »
Aunt Sally.  Did you read the RHS page?  There's no mention of when to sow 'onion' seed...oh and they say use heat!

Nick

You must be reading a different site, then:

Quote from: RHS
SowingSow onion seed 13mm (0.5in) deep in rows 20cm (8in) apart from late February through to early April. Thin first to 5cm (2in) apart and then later to 10cm (4in) apart.

Sow shallot seed from March to April 13mm (0.5in) deep in rows 30cm (12in) apart. Make succesional sowings. Each seed produces a single shallot. Thin seedlings to anything from 2.5-7.5cm (1-3in) apart, depending on how large you want the individual shallots to develop.

For an earlier crop, or in cold regions, it is better to sow seed in cell trays, modules or pots indoors with gentle heat.

Note the use of the word "gentle".

We're also still puzzled as to why you sowed in frozen compost.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:02 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 11:28 »
It would appear that what Nick has done regarding the timing of the sowing of his onion seed is correct. As per the growing instructions on the back of his seed packet and the recommendation of the RHS. In trays during January and February in "gentle heat". If an early crop is required or you live in a cold region. Nick it appears lives in the Peak district!!! Instructions from both sources, state "sow outside during March and April".   
As per the outcome of what most gardeners do regarding sowing/growing vegetables!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!
But, as we all know, sowing seed in frozen compost is certainly not the correct thing to do for a positive outcome.
DD are you implying that the sowing/growing instructions on seed packets are only for gardeners which are "serious" and live in the "South of the UK?" Is this South of what Birmingham, Oxford, Reading?

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 12:00 »
When I say frozen compost...all I meant was I had to break it up to get it out of the bag.

Best onions I ever grew were started off in January.  Ailsa Craig and they were huge by the end of the season.

Nick

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 12:11 »
When I say frozen compost...all I meant was I had to break it up to get it out of the bag.

That is not what you said.

They stay in the heated prop for a couple of days just to get frost out of the compost and then I'll move them to a window cill.

That distinctly means to me and others that you have frost in your compost in which you have sown your seed.

I and others have responded accordingly.

DD are you implying that the sowing/growing instructions on seed packets are only for gardeners which are "serious" and live in the "South of the UK?" Is this South of what Birmingham, Oxford, Reading?

No, I'm saying that you ought to allow for your local climate and the instuctions are usually the earliest possible dates and often it is better to hold back than get over-eager.

South of the UK if you look at a map, and I don't think it's altered since I was at school: Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, West Sussex .......... I can give the rest in order if you wish!

Pompey Spud

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 20:31 »
Anyway...i sowed Red Baron today into covered modules in the conservatory. Once 2/3rds germinated, these will than be moved into an unheated greenhouse. Than onto the cold frame awaiting to be planted out when conditions allow.

Gosport is South Hants by the way.  8)

Top tip for camping....don't go.

ROYAL=BD=

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 20:59 »
i have the same as you going in (Red Baron) so good luck and i hope you have a good season Pompey Spud ( not like your football team LOL  :tongue2:) ..... i cant talk being a PALACE fan  :blink:

xx
lettuce in onion bed?

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 14:29
by sean moore
xx
lettuce seeds....

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 22:12
by Trillium
xx
radish & lettuce seeds looking the same

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 23:56
by blackbob
xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 38 queries.