Elongated egg

• 3 Replies

Bubbles

Elongated egg
« on: January 16, 2010, 17:13 »
Like everyone else we have had a lot of snow which the girls did not like, although they sort of got used to it after a few days.

They have all continued to lay but today I got one tiny egg and one that was a strange elongated shape. The chicken who was responsible for this obviously didnt even have time to get to the nest box as it was in amongst the poo under the perch.

Are they just a bit under the weather? They are coming up to a year old and are ISA browns, I have read they only last around 72 weeks please say this isnt so!

Thanks for any advice

dizzylizzie

Re: Elongated egg
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 18:32 »
i think this is when Farmers cull them. Mine are ex-battery hen, so are conidered 'spent'. We had them in August and they are still laying. albeit after a bit of a winter break :D

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 18:55 »
mine have been producing a few long eggs recently and also shell-less eggs. They are not eating very much or laying many eggs. It is due to the short daylight hours. They will improve in a few weeks, I hope. Two are nearly two years old and one is 4.5 years.

Bubbles

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 19:45 »
thanks for your replies. I rather wish they would give themselves a bit of a brak, they have been laying relentlessly since March!

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 28 queries.