Snow and purple sprouting

• 21 Replies

superluke2

Snow and purple sprouting
« on: January 15, 2010, 21:20 »
The snow is finally clearing and i went to look at veg patch.  The purple sprouting which was great before Christmas was decimated. I guess the birds got desperate and all the leaves stripped and some of the stems now only stumps. Never covered brassicas previously and had no problem but this year nothing hardly remains. Do most of you cover these to protect?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Snow and purple sprouting
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 21:24 »
Oh yes.

Have to, they'd strip them bare in no time, snow or no snow.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

superluke2

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 21:43 »
oh well learn something every day. Sod it they were looking so good

MoreWhisky

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 21:48 »
My  brassicas are always netted im afraid.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

bonfire

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 00:39 »
My psb not covered and now starting to show little flower buds with snow still on the ground but well into the thaw. Luck rather than good judgement obviously. Last year they didn't look half so good but still cropped well.

I think I would be inclined to cover and persevere with them because those stumps have a good root system and plants often throw everything into flowering when they've had a shock.
Or I am being hopelessly optimistic?

madcat

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 08:12 »
I did the same last year and they stripped them to stumps. :( :(  Left them in the ground but they didn't recover ....   :(   I can understand why the pigeons do it, but I don't have to appreciate it!   :mad:

This year they are netted but the snow has flattened the netting.  If it keeps raining enough snow might melt  :happy: and will go and see what the damage is this time.   :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

superluke2

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 20:31 »
I feae the worst most have been toppled by pigeons pecking through the stems. I probably wont wait as will need to get tatties in and their wont be much growth here for a couple of months.  :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 23:10 »
Tomorrow will be my fiorst trip to the plot this year - never been away for so long!

Snow has cleared and rain should have stopped.... just hoping my PSB is still there with some net in place.....

I really do need to get down to the plot for a break from work  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 15:36 »
I've got PSB in raised beds in my garden.  We had over a foot of snow for almost 3 weeks.  Finally melted and its flattened.  Really gutted as it was looking big and healthy.  Is there any point leaving it in the ground?  the main stems are all bent over and a lot of the leaves look like they're rotting.

:mad:

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 22:42 »
I've got PSB in raised beds in my garden.  We had over a foot of snow for almost 3 weeks.  Finally melted and its flattened.  Really gutted as it was looking big and healthy.  Is there any point leaving it in the ground?  the main stems are all bent over and a lot of the leaves look like they're rotting.

:mad:

A few of mine look the same but they are staying put.... having waited this long for them to produce they can sit tight as I don't need the space and I'll wait and see....  ;)

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 20:46 »
Yea, I'll leave them until I need the space (probably not until March/April) but not holding out much hope.  I wonder whether to cut off above where the stem has bent over?   :unsure:

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 21:34 »
Yea, I'll leave them until I need the space (probably not until March/April) but not holding out much hope.  I wonder whether to cut off above where the stem has bent over?   :unsure:

They are tough old things... given enough time between now and when they (hopefully) flower they should send new growth up in the right direction - so I would leave the bits that have fallen unless you can stake them and tie them in a more upright position. (I did this last year when a couple pulled the stakes over). They can appear a bit brittle near ground/root level so are not that keen to be returned to the vertical sometimes.

I have two that have plonked themselves onto the neighbouring path... if they refuse to co-operate with being oiked up and onto new stakes they will have to have the chop!  :(

No more snow on the menu for us - thanks!  ;)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 21:38 »
A couple of mine are snaking rather than growing upright , so do they need staking to grow upright then?

Cheers MW.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 21:42 »
I got out to check mine today and they are OK  WAYHAYYYYY

Just beginning to grow little purple sprouts, no pigeons have gotten through the net and some are even up straight  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 21:42 »
I got out to check mine today and they are OK  WAYHAYYYYY

Just beginning to grow little purple sprouts, no pigeons have gotten through the net and some are even up straight  :D :D

Light-weight snow your way or jolly hefty stakes  ;)

I don't thinkit matters much whether they are twisting / twirling, up-right or not as long as you can keep the flapping pigeons off you stand a chance of a decent crop.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 21:44 by Learner »

xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli - sprouting already - too soon?

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 10:45
by devonbarmygardener
xx
My purple sprouting broccoli isn't sprouting

Started by Vagabond on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 10:11
by Grubbypaws
xx
Purple sprouting

Started by superluke2 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 09:28
by Debz
xx
purple sprouting over?

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 14:59
by Spr0ut

Page created in 0.685 seconds with 36 queries.