Why are my chickens eating snail shells?

• 8 Replies

SamT

Why are my chickens eating snail shells?
« on: January 14, 2010, 01:50 »
My chickens are about 6 months old now, and they all starting laying eggs within the last three weeks.  Just recently I trod on an empty snail shell and all three of them went mental to eat a bit.  I notice that if one gets a shell the others chase her to get a bit too.  Is there something in the snail shell they need for their diet?  I was told we didnt need to  feed them oyster shell til after their first moult as the pellets should be sufficient for what they need at this age but seeing their reaction to the shell I wondered if they were missing something.  They have a bowl of grit they can eat.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Why are my chickens eating snail shells?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 08:48 »
Snail shell are as you sugest very high in calcium.

If your hens are free ranging they will not be eating sufficient layers pellets to give then enough calcium to make shells and keep their bones in good condition.  You should be offering crushed oyster shell as well as grit to your hens.  They will only take what they need so won't overdose on calcium.

SamT

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 19:57 »
Yes, they are free ranging, I have noticed they dont eat as many pellets as they used to, they used to stop for some on the way out of their pen but now they just run straight out and start digging.  Thanks for that I will go and get some oyster shells.  Is there anything else I should get them to make up for the lack of pellets?  Thanks for your help. Sam

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 21:04 »
You could give them a drop of cod liver oil each day for a week or so to give them some Vit D3 which will help them to absorb the calcium.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 21:22 »
mmmmm, snail shells  :tongue2: yummy  :lol:
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

SamT

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 22:44 »
Is it crucial that they eat the pellets or is that mainly for chickens that dont get to free range?  I was a bit worried when they stopped eating them so much but if they can get all they need from the garden I guess they will turn back to the pellets when they get hungry and cant find anything to eat.  I thought they were hungry the other day cos they started eating snow but they seem to do this even when they have their corn or treats around too.  Thanks.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 22:54 »
It depends how good your garden is for free food.  Lots of area to dig in; bushes to find spiders and bugs in fresh young grass in the spring and summer will keep them happy but still may not supply enough food.  I keep my hens in their run until about 11 am so that they only have pellets to eat. They can wander around after that.

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 23:30 »
That's exactly what I do Auntie!
 They eat just pellets and a mash made with mainly pellets (difference in smell (spice in pellets, garlic in mash) and texture means I con them to eat both) in the run before 11am and sometimes nip back for a peck or two of them when they're out during the day. Must be getting what they need....they've only missed laying occasionally in the past few months and no probs with the weather.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 13:00 »
  I thought they were hungry the other day cos they started eating snow but they seem to do this even when they have their corn or treats around too.  Thanks.

Perhaps they were eating the snow instead of drinking water. I'm sure that is what mine have been doing over the last few weeks when we have struggled to keep them supplied with liquid water. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
egg eating chickens!

Started by Debbieta on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 20, 2013, 09:30
by joyfull
xx
Chickens eating more?

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 12:43
by Chicken_Lover
xx
I've got some egg eating chickens.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post October 30, 2008, 13:03
by spud
xx
Egg eating chickens!

Started by May May on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 09:34
by May May

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 36 queries.