odd !!

• 6 Replies

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
odd !!
« on: January 13, 2010, 18:37 »
ive 4 rir hens, not a year old , they has a few eggs, then stoped about november. thort that would be it till spring, whent in today and there were 3 eggs! :blink: v odd, what do you thinks happened,  weather awful and full of snow here, i thort they didnt lay in the winter with being pure breeds. also if the eggs are frozen, with the cold  as i think 2 of them were can you put them in the fridge then use them when thawd ???

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: odd !!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 18:39 »
My pol girls have all started to come into lay! despite the awful weather! its more to do with the lengthening days, as from Dec 21st they are now getting longer and chooks can detect this!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 18:41 »
As they are only one year old it is perfectly normal for them to lay in winter although as you have found out they have had a little break (probably after having a partial moult). I doubt if the eggs are properley frozen though they will be just cold. Don't bother with the fridge just cook and eat  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 18:52 »
My pol girls have all started to come into lay! despite the awful weather! its more to do with the lengthening days, as from Dec 21st they are now getting longer and chooks can detect this!
Spot on, daylight time lengthening is the crucial element.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 20:10 »
thanx again :D your a great lot was realy worried there thort something funny going on :wub: know what im having tommorow, boiled egg for brekie! ;)

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 21:21 »
i had eggs freeze then crack last week that were left in the car overnight!!!
 Still ok to eat though just dont store  if they crack :)

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 21:47 »
finaly had my first own boiled egg tonight! kitchen wasripped out 4 months ago and everything in boxes. but dug in till i found the egg combi toaster but the  egg cooker was burried in the boxes ??? got a few before winter but didnt have any. nice feeling  and v tasty like growing your own veg but better :D

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 29 queries.