not on perches-is this normal?

• 19 Replies

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: not on perches-is this normal?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 00:12 »
Thanks for that HF.
I see the perches are fixed on a baton on each side of the coop which looks a lot easier than my current arrangement which is two crossed perches in an X shape. I need to change it because one end is in front of the pophole and will be too draughty I think for the winter.
May I ask another question - is there a particular reason for staggering the height of the perches on yours - do the hens squabble over who gets to be on the highest ones? (sorry that's two questions!) :)
Thanks too for your reply Grace - might try and knock up a prototype to experiment with - will let you know how it goes with my hens as guinea pigs :D

hillfooter

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 00:52 »
My houses are Forsham Cottage Arks 504 Lenhams you can look up their web site for more info.  I will say Forshams know about chicken keeping and the Lenham is cleverly optimised for the chicken's needs and yours for cleaning.  I bought my first one just over 10 years ago and it's still going strong with a bit of maintenance each year to replace split roof boards and retreating with preservative.  They are not the cheapest but they last well.  Where as cheap SE Asia and Chinese flatpack imports maybe well made from machined wood but the basic materials are cheap and flimsy.  10mm roof boards aren't uncommon whereas the Forsham houses are 20mm.  Durability is much much greater.

Basically the perches slope upwards which encourages the first birds to roost to occupy the highest perch.  They don't squabble but they do tend to roost next to the same hen so they do have their own places though it's not always strictly followed.  As the perches are supported on a baton, as you say at each end, it helps with Red Mite control and they are easy to just lift off to clean.

Attached is a photo of a 'natural' roost note they don't perch on single branches but prefer a mat of crossing branches they can huddle on.
Legbars roosted in tree WEB.jpg
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 18:28 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 09:17 »
My husband made a set of perches from plastic water piping, using elbows and corners etc, he flattened the plastic by heating it then roughed it up with sandpaper for good grip, as its free standing any poop can be easily washed off with the garden hose and no problems with red mite either, works brilliantly for us.

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 18:33 »
My husband made a set of perches from plastic water piping, using elbows and corners etc, he flattened the plastic by heating it then roughed it up with sandpaper for good grip, as its free standing any poop can be easily washed off with the garden hose and no problems with red mite either, works brilliantly for us.

I can imagine that the right diameter plastic pipe would work well.  What was the diameter of the pipe he used?  I can image 42mm waste pipe would work OK but 12mm or 18mm water pipe wouldn't be wide enough.  Did he use solvent elbows?

HF
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 23:36 by hillfooter »

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 17:48 »
Thanks for the info HF. The hen in the middle in the pic must be really cosy!
Squashed plastic waste piping - how inventive!

xx
How far apart should perches be?

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 18:08
by mad chicken
xx
Perches

Started by Tulip on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2007, 18:35
by Bagpuss
xx
Perches

Started by rugbyman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 22:33
by mpv1961
xx
Perches

Started by ness on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 20:12
by ness

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 36 queries.