confused now about which coop to buy!!

• 22 Replies

Debsie

• Experienced Member
confused now about which coop to buy!!
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:23 »
Hi posted on here a few times last year, in the end we decided t wait a while before getting our chickens, garden to sort etc, so I am now aiming for the end of Feb beginning of March. Have looked at houses/coops online, seen one I like but have seen some negative comments about it. It has a run attached, ramp goes up to house and nesting box, door has four little panes of perspex in. (seems to be available from lots of places inc ebay) Would really appreciate some advice on what I am looking for in a hen house, btw neither of us are DIY experts so building our own from scratch is a no go!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: confused now about which coop to buy!!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:01 »
They are usually cheap imported rubbish that claim to be big enough to house 3 or 4 birds. Well the only size birds that they could fit in at that amount are quails  :mad:
Do not get one, the roof will warp, the run will not be large enough especially when you have a feeder and drinker there plus hens like to dust bathe and the perches are not good enough. Instead get a shed and convert or a wooden play house and either build a run (or you can buy panels to join together or even buy one ready made) or have them free ranging.
sorry will get off my soap box now but so many have been taken in by these - myself included of course (mine became an isolation unit and then went to chickenladys to house quails complete with warped roof :lol:).
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:04 »
Have you looked at the Eglu?  See the Omlet site on Google

I got one as I needed to be able to do the whole thing on my own.  I put it up singlehandedly, got the chooks in it within the day. 

webwahm

• Experienced Member
    • Allotment Diary - Kids Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 10:11 »
Hi, you might have seen this already but I posted about this too http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=48905.0

I poured over coops/runs for days on the internet and just as I thought I'd found one, another would show up or someone would say why it was no good.

In the end I decided to go for a big free standing coop from Pet Pads (http://www.thepetpads.co.uk/shop/chicken+coops/) and attach it to an old covered flower hut thing which (luckily) I had on my allotment but hadn't even considered as a potential 'chicken run'.

I'm also going to build a bigger outdoor run - I didn't think I was a DIYer either ::)

I think maybe get the biggest you can afford, try avoid felt, foxproof, and don't stock it to the amount it says you can (as most people on here will say they are too small).

There is a lot to consider and at times I nearly gave up except I wanted to rescue some ex-battery hens and *had* to choose.

Good luck!!!

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:11 »
thanks for advice, unable to have hens free ranging all of the time. Would not have a clue how to convert a shed!! I will keep looking, and will bear in mind advice I have been given, do you think if I went for a house that "says" it will house 6 hens it will be ok for 3 as that is all I intend to get, only want eggs for our small family.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:15 »
It's the run size more than anything plus the quality of the timber and treatment. Please allow at least 2 sq mtrs of run space per bird (and IMHO more as they will want a dust bath, feeder, drinker etc).

grumpydad

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 11:37 »
there is a small company called
cooped up
seem to have some reasonable coops, google the name
forsham cottage arks do some nice coops
would recommend that you either make your own or go to a proper chicken coop supplier, not a diy chain store, the diy stores have no real intrest in good just cheap coops that will not last.
go for the best you can afford

have you tried to google chicken coops ?

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 12:53 »
had a look at some more, think maybe I will go for free standing house and attach extra large run, how high off the ground would you recommend the house to be to keep rats away?

grumpydad

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 13:00 »
mine is 2 feet off the ground, with a deep layer of sand under, so that the chucks can use it as a dust bath. they also use it when the weather is bad, even though the run is covered and enclosed on three sides

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 13:06 »
what could I use to raise the house, the one I am looking at is designed for ground level, I think!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 14:45 »
I agree with joyful about the coops, they are rubbish and will fall apart in months. They are ALWAYS way too small for the amount of chickens, and the runs are a joke! chickens will trash the ground very easily as they like to dig, scratch and have dust baths. They need enough room to stretch, flap their wings, get up higher (on logs) etc. There needs to be room for at least 2 feeders and drinkers, and room that they can get away from each other.....well in my opinion anyway...anything smaller nd you might as well have battery conitions :(
The coops look 'cute', and look quite a size in the pictures, but honastly, lots of people on here have made that mistake, afew months of rain and wind will split and warp the wood, apart from the space issue. Maybe have a look n your paper, and see if there if there is a shed maker, or an odd job man. you could have it built to your wn spec's and at a fraction of the price :D

cheshirecat

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 15:49 »
Hi there, I am in the process of buying a new coop and run combined.  I have found a very helpful man on the internet, Garden-Woodcraft, and Steve the man in charge is more or less making it to my design.  Although I must say my original idea has been amended and adjusted a little!    Prices are quite reasonable and they deliver and erect on your site.  the wood is all treated and finished off with a coat of silicone  Whatsmore you dont pay a penny until its insitu.  As the other say, shop around on the internet, there are quite a few good companies who make the whole thing.  Good luck:)
Max.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 16:42 »
I liked some of the stuff on coopedup.co.uk

http://www.coopedup.co.uk/index.htm

esp the Stafford ... just what I'd like.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 17:12 »
thanks for advice, have been on my hands and knees most of morning measuring out what I can get for my money and yes I agree some of the coops I have been looking at are very small, I am going to have a look at some very soon, the place I am planning to get my hens from also sells housing so I can see before I buy, will also consider finding a local handyman, be nice to have it built to my spec.

oborne27

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 19:25 »
Generally E-bay coops are not great except the one that I bought which was from a Britaish guy that makes them himself - also makes them to measure and will stain them to almost any colour to!
The one I choose has a coop 3' sq and a run of 18' long by 3' wide - its great
his name on ebay is 'woodyshuts'.
Just puch this into the search and they will come up.
When I ordered it, it was late one thursday evening (about11pm) and I asked a few questions about it and he phones me within 5 mins of my enquiry (can't get better then that) and it was delivered 48hrs later!!! Great service from a great supplier. I would recommend them to anyone.
Please don't think that everything on ebay is rubbish cos its not - although alot is!

xx
confused :-/

Started by caroline800 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 11, 2016, 00:10
by caroline800
xx
Confused

Started by MKD on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2016, 08:46
by Sassy
xx
oh, now i'm really confused!

Started by ginaclements on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 10:19
by Beano
xx
Confused ???

Started by hulgrin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 12:47
by hulgrin

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 38 queries.