• 19 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: new chicken owner
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 23:13 »
Quote from: "psipower"
Before long they will be persuing you all over the garden :).
... and standing on the spade while you're trying to dig  :lol:

diamond_lil

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 13:40 »
Hi Dakota. Hope you are enjoying your chickens.  You said you wanted to  put some lousing powder on them, but they were panicking when you tried to hande them. Have you tried approaching them at night? I find that once they have roosted it is much easier to pick them off the perch and treat them with whatever is necessary and they are less likely to panic. With these light nights you can even almost see what you are doing! The other thing to try is to give their nesting boxes a good dosing with mite/louse powder so that when they settle down to lay it rubs off on them. They will soon be all over you, don't worry! DL

eggs on legs

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 15:33 »
Yes - when they are following you EVERYWHERE, pecking at your toes and nipping your ankles trying to get you to give them a treat, you will wish they ignored you after all !!

:shock:
Cherie always says:
"A boiled egg in the morning is hard to beat, but then what does she know about anything".

dakota

lousing powder
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 19:22 »
Quote from: "diamond_lil"
Hi Dakota. Hope you are enjoying your chickens.  You said you wanted to  put some lousing powder on them, but they were panicking when you tried to hande them. Have you tried approaching them at night? I find that once they have roosted it is much easier to pick them off the perch and treat them with whatever is necessary and they are less likely to panic. With these light nights you can even almost see what you are doing! The other thing to try is to give their nesting boxes a good dosing with mite/louse powder so that when they settle down to lay it rubs off on them. They will soon be all over you, don't worry!

Thanks for the info,I did'nt like the idea of disturbing them once they were on the perch,but I think this is the only way I'll be able to treat them at the moment,I'll also put some in the nest boxes as suggested.
     Best wishes to you all
                                         Edward

Foxy

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 21:05 »
Hello Dakota
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of chickens. When we got are first egg we were absurdly happy! We photographed it, examined the egg from all angles then poached it -delicious!!!
We "seduced" our birds by feeding them titbits -they particulary like brown wholemeal bread and now follow us everywhere! :lol:

xx

Started by bloodhound on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 14, 2008, 18:44
by Vember
smiley

Started by feathered friends on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 14:12
by feathered friends
xx

Started by mercury on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 30, 2006, 13:21
by Zak the Rabbit
xx

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 14:21
by WR1

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 36 queries.