Test Bed

• 15 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Test Bed
« on: May 20, 2007, 18:10 »
I have made a test bed, quite small but about 3 feet high.
At the end is a perspex window panel so that I will be able to observe the root systems forming.
I am considering which veggies to include in my tests.
I will start with two types of carrot (baby and main) potato and onion - ones with the most interesting activity below ground level.
Well  :? I've read that the spud is not root but a tuber and I don't really understand what part of the plant it is ......... can anyone explain this?

Anyway I have space for three more tests and would consider any suggestions.  :idea: And now I've learnt how, I will be able to post photies of the roots through the window :D
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
Test Bed
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 18:13 »
That sll sound difficult but very interesting.  As to the questions some one will be along soon to help.
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

leeky

Test Bed
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 01:35 »
does sound good. i like looking at roots in that clear jelly type stuff  that expands in water, forgot the name. fascinating.

how about errrrrrrr........... leeks  :lol:   maybe they take too long? raddish? choices choices

WG.

Test Bed
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 06:06 »
A tuber is where the plant stores energy (starches) in order to over-winter & re-grow the following year.

A root is what a plant uses to gather water and nutrients while it is still growing.

In some plants the functions are combined (e.g. carrot, parsnip).
In others, the functions are separated (e.g. potatoes, jerusalem artichoke, dahlia).

Won't you need to keep your perspex panel covered up?  Otherwise I think the roots will avoid it.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Test Bed
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 13:51 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
A tuber is where the plant stores energy (starches) in order to over-winter & re-grow the following year.

A root is what a plant uses to gather water and nutrients while it is still growing.

In some plants the functions are combined (e.g. carrot, parsnip).
In others, the functions are separated (e.g. potatoes, jerusalem artichoke, dahlia).

Won't you need to keep your perspex panel covered up?  Otherwise I think the roots will avoid it.

You're a star WG :!:
Many thanks for the explanation ............ now I'm looking forward to seeing what the potato root looks like - I don't think I've ever seen one.

And as for your thought about needing to cover the perspex - BRILLIANT - exactly the sort of thing I needed to be told for my experiment to work :D .......... the roots will turn away from the light?! - thinking it must be UP :wink:
I now have the bed ready and divided into 2 halves, one at pH 6.5 and the other with lime to pH 7.0.
Have you any suggestions for what to plant in either - anything you've ever wondered what it looks like down below?
Jim

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
Test Bed
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 13:56 »
You might also observe some interesting creatures around the roots too!
I know Bangor University in North Wales had some research into what happens below soil level by builing a 'Rhizotron' basically an underground chamber with seethrough panels so they could record what goes on below ground with plants animals and fungi!
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Test Bed
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 14:11 »
Quote from: "slow_worm"
You might also observe some interesting creatures around the roots too!
I know Bangor University in North Wales had some research into what happens below soil level by builing a 'Rhizotron' basically an underground chamber with seethrough panels so they could record what goes on below ground with plants animals and fungi!

Thanks for that too Slow_worm :D
Well is there any plant you would like me to include :?:
Jim

WG.

Test Bed
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 19:26 »
Quote from: "Jim T"
anything you've ever wondered what it looks like down below?
Absolutely yes, but Mrs Golf always puts the light off  :wink:

Try some garlic as an over-winter test.  Saw somewhere that it was shallow-rooted to which I say ... b*ll*cks.  :D

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Test Bed
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 20:02 »
WG  :D  If Aunty does nt slap your wrist for that one !!! I do nt know you never miss a trick !  :D
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

WG.

Test Bed
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 20:16 »
Quote from: "corndolly"
WG  :D  If Aunty does nt slap your wrist for that one !!! I do nt know

What?  What did I say??  I can't help it if she is embarassed about her bunions ...

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Test Bed
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 20:35 »
.......... the roots will turn away from the light?! - thinking it must be UP :wink:

No not quite Jim, roots avoid the light by using negative photoropism ( moving away from light ) due to hormone action. Roots travel downwards using geotropism again caused by hormone action.

if you want more info have a look at This site.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Test Bed
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 23:23 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
.......... the roots will turn away from the light?! - thinking it must be UP :wink:

No not quite Jim, roots avoid the light by using negative photoropism ( moving away from light ) due to hormone action. Roots travel downwards using geotropism again caused by hormone action.

:D Many thanks Richyrich.
I'll do that ........ Glad you dont think I read too much :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Test Bed
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 21:17 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"

:D Many thanks Richyrich.
I'll do that ........ Glad you dont think I read too much :wink:

:lol:  You can never read to much Jim. I love books, good job my wife works in a library  :D

Ice

• muck spreader
Test Bed
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 21:21 »
A tuber is an underground stem, which is why it turns green due to photosynthesis when exposed to the light.
Cheese makes everything better.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Test Bed
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 12:20 »
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad"
A tuber is an underground stem, which is why it turns green due to photosynthesis when exposed to the light.

:D Great, I like getting down to scientific principles.
Can we continue this a little by thinking out loud about
why we cover the greenage of the potatoes ... yes I have been told that it results in more spuds - ie more stems -  :idea: perhaps the plant is trying to send more leaves, with the chlorophyll, up to reach the sunlight to continue photosynthesising.
That makes sense doesn't it :?:

xx
Soil test

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 12:47
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Soil test

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2014, 22:38
by solway cropper
xx
Soil test

14 Replies
Last post May 27, 2014, 16:27
by mdjlucan
xx
Soil Test Kit

Started by JimB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2016, 19:09
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 36 queries.