1st Casualty?

• 11 Replies

webwahm

• Experienced Member
    • Allotment Diary - Kids Stuff
1st Casualty?
« on: January 09, 2010, 13:19 »
Hmmm OK, I think I have a poorly hen - let them out yesterday and they all came bouncing out.

Went to close up coop last night, and all hens inside as usual but noticed one of them was laid near the pop hole, and getting trampled on when others came to see me...but figured that's what a battery hen might be used to  :wub:

Today, presuming it's the same one, she practically fell out of the pop hole as she tried to come out...went to eat but she's pulling neck in, eyes closing, tail feathers (what's left of them) and wings 'drooping'.  I put her back in the coop with some food (which she went to straight away) and water, don't have anywhere for quarantine (I guess I could bring her home in a box for a bit???)

It's a weekend so vet isn't an option.  There's another man on the allotment who is used to culling hens but obviously I don't want to do that until/unless it's really necessary.  But how do you know when a hen is really, really ill because lots of people on here say theirs have looked like they were really bad but then perked up.

:(

dizzylizzie

Re: 1st Casualty?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 13:33 »
Is she coughing/sneezing?
Can you here any wheezing?
Is her face puffy/swollen?
Does she have a snotty nose?
Are her eyes free from discharge?
Does she have any injuries, could she have fallen and strained something?
Feel under her wing, is she hot? (compare with other chickens)
What are her poops like (look on the poop guide on here)
Is she eating/drinking.
Open her beak, does her breath smell stale(like something has died)
How does her crop feel/is it empty first thing in the morning
Is she still laying, if so could she be egg bound of have a softy on route?
Check around her tail feathers, can you see any lice/crawlies
Could she be cold/fed up with the weather?
Where is she in the pecking order, could she be getting bullied, is she being stopped from eating/drinking as much as she would like?
If you are really concerned, being a weekend should not stop you contacting a vet, they are available at all times :D Good luck with her
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 13:35 by dizzylizzie »

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 16:01 »
sounds to me like she needs antiboitics and fast but i feel it may be to late for her , get her indoors and warm asap . it seems she is very ill and i doubt she will last the night  :( .i had one go down just before Christmas and the cold got her as well so i took her to the vets to be put down sometimes u just know when theres nothing u can do and letting them go is the kinda option .

like u i am quite lucky in having someone close by who can let them go quickly without suffering .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

webwahm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 17:43 »
Yes, it was too late.

I rang round and managed to get into a vet but when I went back to the allotment to get her, she had gotten back out of the coop and was just laid on her side in the run :-(

Put her in a box anyway but she just flopped to the side and laid in a heap - I was prepared not to come back with her.  Vet said she probably wouldn't be here tomorrow, was skinny as anything so had nothing to help her 'fight' even if we gave antibiotics and thought it was best to put her to sleep.

How fast did all that happen!?!?

Thanks for your replies - oh and no she didn't have any signs of sneezing etc.  Just listless. 

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 17:49 »
Thats a shame, so sorry!
One of the reasons it appears that chooks go down hill so quickly, it that a chicken is able to hide symptoms so well, a built in survival mechanism. This means when we first realise something is wrong it is often too late. I make a habit of handling my birds frequently, to check their weight is OK, as well as time out just observing behaviour.

webwahm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 17:56 »
Yes, I just bought some rings so we can start telling them apart and keep an eye on them better  :unsure:

Because they are ex-batts they are pretty waif-like anyway, and I did post a week or so ago saying I'd seen one behaving oddly but seemed to recover...could have been that one, I honestly don't know.

Live and learn.

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 17:58 »
am sorry for your lose  :( .

i have 1 or 2 that look down and miserable at the mo and i dont always know if to blame it on the moulting or the cold but for all i know they could be ill , it is very hard to tell sometimes but once mine were all in standing in the warm straw warming thier legs they seemed to be fine .

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 18:16 »
Sorry for your loss, it's hard when they go, but you gave her a good life
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 20:29 »
It's horrible when you lose your first one but ex bats are notorious for just going like that  :(

When you to get to know them more you'll spot signs of odd behaviour sooner but as Foxy says they will try to hide the fact they are ill until they are practically at deaths door. Pick them up as often as you can and get used to how they feel and you'll spot weight loss. There are excellent if gruesome guides on pooh and parasites in the stickies with pictures so you learn the sorts of things to look for to head problems off at the pass.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 21:06 »
Sorry about your bird!!
i too have ex-batts and find it hard to tell them apart!! what are the rings you are on about and where can i get them?

steve

webwahm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 21:20 »
Hi Steve - the rings are coloured leg rings and I got mine from Pets at Home just because I happened to see them, but I'm sure you can get them from any poultry supplies place.

Getting them on is going to be interesting  :blink:

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 16:16 »
 :D

We've managed easily enough with two of us ...
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 38 queries.