cabbages in snow

• 15 Replies

supervegman

cabbages in snow
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:30 »
i have some decent size cabbages that are just starting to get hearts, but have been covered in snow last week or so will they be ok.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: cabbages in snow
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 12:14 »
All brassicas are amazingly hardy so probably yes. Just frustrating when you can't get at the stuff  ::)

Everything came through last winter on my plot when we had snow - kale, purple sprouting, leeks, galic, overwintering onions, even the chard recovered for a few early spring pickings before it bolted.

supervegman

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 14:24 »
wow cool...i have been cover my onions and garlic from the snow actually as they have already got leaves

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 14:29 »
Anyone for a Savoy? ???
S7002036.JPG
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

supervegman

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 14:30 »
ha ha whys that

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 14:34 »
'cos that's where I planted 'em..........I think :blink:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 14:50 »
yup - my plot is like that.

These are my raised beds at home with my handy winter greens supply.............somewhere  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 15:59 »
Can't even see the edges of the raised beds :ohmy: but somewhere I have leeks, swede and savoy cabbage...........but unless I get desperate........they can stay there for now :lol:

supervegman

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 16:08 »
good for you so what else you growing

MoreWhisky

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 16:31 »
My Brassicas are always covered with netting  held up by sticks with empty bottles on and pegged down.

The netting has been covered in snow which has turned to ice for some weeks now.

This has acted like a cover and now the brassicas underneath are doing and looking amazingly well!
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Babstreefern

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 20:54 »
Surprisingly, its warmer under the snow than out in the open.  In the Pennines/highlands, sheep will burrow in the snow to shelter from blizzard type conditions.  Also, eskimoes build igloos, again, its warmer inside than outside in a blizzard. :D
Babs

hamstergbert

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 19:53 »
Igloos (and bootneck snow holes) keep the wind chill element out and the relatively still air inside can finish up settling with a multi shear-layer clinging to the snow surface slicing into several stages a fairly steep temperature gradient of several degrees to the main blob of air contained.  In extreme conditions that couple of degrees is extraordinarily important. 

Unlike humans sheltering though, the brassicas etc in your micronetting/canes 'igloo' can put up with being completely enveloped for proplonged periods without suffocating! 
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 19:58 »
I hope my spring cabbage and purple sprouting broccoli will be OK. I haven't seen them since it started to snow.

Edited
I walked up to the lottie today without falling over once, but it was a close thing. The bits of cabbage and broccoli poking out through the snow looked healthy enough, but the netting was pushed down with the weight of the snow on top. I will have to get up there quickly when it thaws as the damage is such that the pigeons will be able to have a feast if I do not rearrange the netting before they notice the holes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 20:06 by azubah »

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:09 »
Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news!!! But, I have a diary for the winter of 1981/82. It so happens that the day/date is the same as now. The entry for today is: "-21 in Oxon area overnight. But, a slight thaw starting during the day". Similar to today with the expected thaw!!! Entry for Sunday, 17th Jan. "Still thawing. The alloments stink with rotton veg and pigeon dung. Big mop up operation. Many places under water. Two villages still blocked in W.Wales". I wonder what the overall damages will be for our gardens/allotments? When the white stuff has gone!!! 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 10:35 »
Think now is probably a good time to buy shares in Garden Centres!

There has been a big increase in this country in the number of plants being grown which are only hardy in the much milder winters we have been having for the last decade or so; many of these will undoubtedly need replacing come the spring. Great excuse for some retail gardening therapy!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sad
Snow!

Started by ianjmatt on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 22:09
by Thrift
xx
snow

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2017, 17:26
by rowlandwells
xx
Snow

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 16:11
by Aidy
xx
Snow and Sprouts

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 25, 2009, 18:31
by barbarella

Page created in 1.022 seconds with 38 queries.