Basic sanitary regime

• 8 Replies

neil9797

Basic sanitary regime
« on: January 07, 2010, 21:30 »
I've read a lot about keeping coop & run clean and what to use to do so but I've not yet seen a schedule of cleaning. What needs to be done daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually etc?
e.g. sprinkle Jeyes fluid over bark in run every month.

Thanks, N

francais

• Experienced Member
Re: Basic sanitary regime
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 22:04 »
I poo pick daily, complete change of bedding and run covering weekly. I wash bowls every couple of days & very good scrub on clean out day. I dust inside the house part with red mite powder every 2nd clean out and use a small paint brush to rub it into gaps etc. I also use the weekly clean out as time to look around the run for damage either by wear & tear or vermin / intruder etc. Not done a full year though yet so not sure what to do yet about a major spring clean job.

These are only my personal efforts and may not be quite right (I am still learning :) ). Sure a more experianced member will be along to offer much better advice (which of course I will be peeking at for tips too  :tongue2:)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 22:06 by francais »
Toni

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 22:21 »
Each pen has its own designated feeder and water container,  I rinse out each water pot when I refill them, most mornings. I tend to just clean out the food hoppers when they start to look grubby...always make sure the pellets are fresh, NOT new pellets topped up over the old,as this could go mouldy. Other than that, I dont do much daily.

Every saturday however is chook day,When they are all let out, we empty and scrape each coop, spray with 10% Jeyes fluid. Leave coops open, roof off etc to dry. I "puff" diatom throughout the coop, stalosan sprinkled around the run, especially around the food and water containers, coop doorway. Lastly, I put in the bedding, straw in the nestboxes, hemcore or dusted woodshavings in the main area. In the nicer weather, I also sprinkle diatom in their dustbaths, and they dust themselves :D
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

neil9797

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 23:08 »
Great, a very useful thread already! Keep it up!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:13 »
My feeders and drinkers get cleaned out weekly with vanodine and the coups are cleaned out weekly and have stalosan F, hemcore and diatom replaced. Can't help with a run as mine free range but their coups are moved regularly to stop the grass getting worn away and the area becoming too muddy.
Twice a year I treat the coups with poultry shield if there has been no sign of mites (if you have had mites red or otherwise then treat the coup straight away and again a few days later) and also twice a year a treat the coup timbers with a wood preservative.
Staffies are softer than you think.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:20 »
I found this somewhere online, which was a useful starting point to work out what was practical in my own situation ...

A day in the life our our girls comprises.

-Auto pophole opener lets them out at first light (way before I surface!).
-About 6.30 am they get their feeders hung up in the run (take all food in a night to avoid rats).  Aiming to get them onto layers pellets, but for the timebeing feeding them a mix of layers mash (which is what they had in the battery cages), ex-batt crumbs, and ex-batt pellets.  Also adding poultry spice till they get their feathers back.
-The water (with garlic powder and apple cider vinegar) is there all the time, and refreshed every couple of days.
-I go in about 9 am to collect eggs and do a poo patrol picking poo out of the coop and also from around the run.  Then I sit a while to watch and check they are all OK, no sneezes, rattles, limps etc etc.
-If I'm at home, they get several visits throughout the day - just can't keep away from them to be honest!
-Any time after 3pm (depends where I am) they get a scoop of mixed corn (about 20gms each), plus whatever I might have to hand, eg left over veg, rice, pasta, tomatoes etc, or if nothing left over, then mealworms.  And a final check for eggs.
-As light fades, they all put themselves to bed and the auto pophole thing shuts them in.
-Before our bedtime, when we let the dog out, final check to see noone has been locked out, and check that all quiet in the coup.

-Once a week, everything out of the coop, clean with Jeyes Fluid and spray the inside with poultry shield.  When dry treat with Diatom, then nest boxes back in, with layer of wood shavings and bundle of straw in each, dusted with Diatom and louse power.  In the coop, lay newspaper all over the floor and top with wood shavings, again powder with Diatom.

HTH
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:31 by Contact Moderator »
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

neil9797

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 19:54 »
OK! Nice to know that one doesn't have to follow too rigid a regimen - you all seem to have a variety of schedules that work. Thanks again! N

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 13:13 »
That 'day in the life' was mine when I first started off! ..... I don't do all that any more! :dry:

6 months on, and this is what I've ended up with, but it does vary.  Just do what needs doing when it needs doing and apply common sense.

Food containers are still topped up daily and taken in every night (rats).  Emptied and washed when they look grubby.   Now a bit more careful with water containers. I have 2 which I rotate, with one coming in each day for a really good hot wash with fairly liquid. Still using garlic powder, but not bothering with ACV.

Re bedding, I was replacing it every week, but as I do a good and proper poo pick every day, found it not necessary, so just change it when it needs changing. Seems to be about every 3 weeks or so at the moment, though nest boxes are done more often because some still sleep/poo in there. Now use hemcore in both coop and nest boxes, instead of woodshavings and straw, much easier to poo pick, so keeps cleaner for longer.

When I do replace it, it's everything out, and spot clean with Jeyes.  If its dry enough for the wooden coup to dry out, I spray everything with Poultryshield, and then dust with diatom.  If not, then dust the coop and nest box floor with Stolosen F rubbing it in.  I also give the nest box material a dusting of lice powder so they get a bit everytime they go in.

For the floor of the pen, from time to time, turn the earth floor of the run over with a fork to keep it 'nice'.  Girls will enthusiastically help with this as worms are disturbed. I leave it all rough and looking like a ploughed field.  The girls soon have the lumps broken down and nicely levelled out again.  They'd be brilliant little gardeners if they didn't eat the plants.

Try to handle the girls as much as possible, so that you can regularly check them over the lice etc. Ideally once a week.  Some of mine will let me, but Pearl and Tilly are less keen, but I keep trying. 

And remember to keep track of worming.  I did mine in Autumn, and think they'll need doing in the spring too?  Not sure?

Just follow your instincts (which you will soon develop), go with the flow and enjoy :tongue2:.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 16:06 »
Thank you, flowerpot ... I really couldn't remember where I found it, except I knew it was on this forum!  ::)

It gave me a good starting point, although like you I don't do it like that anymore!!  :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 16:07 by beulah59 »

xx
New regime for softies?

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 09:26
by Maccbean
xx
Flubenvet feeding regime

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 21:54
by poultrygeist
xx
Feeding regime to avoid Ratty?

Started by Mrs.Apron on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 09:35
by Mrs.Apron
xx
food regime for chicks to chooks....

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 10:18
by chooknewbie

Page created in 0.649 seconds with 37 queries.