Tomato bags and tomatoes in unrude health

• 5 Replies

Anton

« on: May 19, 2007, 21:46 »
Fellows gardeners,

I grew some tomatoes last year. They were doing fine until the second Belgian monsoon that year (in August), whereupon their lives were blighted. Thinking I was boxing clever this year I bought some of those plastic covers (kind of a tube). A keen gardener but not very good at DIY (if you think I'm being unduly modest ask my Luxembourg wife  for her opinion). Anyhow, the picture that accompanied the product showed the bags attached at the top of a cane with twine and the bags covering various vegetables, including tomatoes that were in very rude health. On the picture the bags were trailing on the ground, not attached.
I took my tomato plants, in rude health, to the allotment, and emulated the drawing.  The first snag off course was that as the bag is merely tied at the top it keeps slipping down when buffeted by a bit of wind.Well there has a been a lot of wind over the last week so they have taken right royal buffeting and are now looking very sorry for themselves. I've now attached the bags to the grounds with wire (in imitation of tent pegs). To keep a short story long, will my plants recover, do you think (some of the branches have broken off and some of the leaves look a bit "burnt")? Should I start again, should I forget this bag idea all together? All suggestions gratefully received.

Anton

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 23:14 »
I've never heard of them Anton.  Can you post a picture of yours or a link to the suppliers please.

I don't think it's too late to plant some fresh plants (not seed) at least it isn't in the South East of England.  I'm not sure about your climate in Belgium.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 23:59 »
Me neither Anton, but I think your tom's should recover, especially if the leader hasn't been lost. But you could re sow to be on the safe side, like Aunt Sally suggest's.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Anton

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 00:02 »
Richard,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for being dense, but what is the leader?

Anton

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 00:10 »
Not dense Anton, its the leading shoot of the plant. On a tomato it's the top of the main stem.

Annie

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 10:44 »
Or failing that try planting the side shoots which should root Quickly and produce new plants.Sorry I don`t know how to do the link thing but someone covered this recently.

xx
Tomato 'bags'

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 19:26
by kermit
xx
Grow bags for tomatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2015, 21:36
by oldgrunge
xx
Tomatoes in grow bags

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2023, 10:18
by mumofstig
xx
re- using tomato grow bags

Started by brightgirls on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2012, 21:37
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.847 seconds with 28 queries.