What our they up too ? (council)

• 3 Replies

Beetroot queen

What our they up too ? (council)
« on: January 02, 2010, 18:35 »
My hubby is site rep for our site and before Christmas he had an email from the council asking about a certain half plot, apparently people gave it up saying it was too wet to grow anything.

They asked hubby his opinion to which he said he thinks it would be fine, just needs work, and seen as the old tenant hadnt been seen on the site for 6 months plus he just thinks it was an excuse to give up.

This plot in question is 10 foot from our two. And next to someone who has no issues with too much water (excusing the rain)

They said they would re-allocate the plot as they have a waiting list of over 60 for our site and that was the last he heard, but when we went down over Christmas the plot in question has been roped off and called wildlife area.

What are the council up to, 60 people waiting and they are extending the wildlife area (already in debate about this area as it has become a dumping ground for locals rather than a wildlife area. )

Is this council laziness at its best or a plan to reduce the allotments

madcat

Re: What our they up too ? (council)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 18:55 »
Wildlife area could easily be translated as 'weed seed creation zone' - and who needs more dandelion etc seeds floating around?  And given you already have problems ...  would be worth a word with your local councillor.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 20:55 »
I see your frustration, but in defense to the Council, they have so many agendas to please.  One of which will be leaving wild areas for wildlife, which is important imo.  However, if it turns into a dumping ground then I would send in photos as ask for a re-think.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:54 »
We have a small plot which is a wildlife area - has trees and other habitat, managed in a relatively hands-off way by a couple of plotholders who know what they're doing.  The area is pretty shaded and wouldn't be so easy to grow upon.

I don't think the council necessarily has a hidden agenda.  With a waiting list of 60 (mine's a bit more than that so not too different from you) they'd struggle to reduce the allotments big-style, but one half-plot which may or may not have a history of being difficult is not a massive concern I think.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
town council

Started by kenny199 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 01:32
by chrisnchris
xx
Bexley Council !

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 15:12
by Thamesmeadhammer
xx
council run sites

Started by neil the allotment kid on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 16:56
by flowergirl
xx
damb council

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 23:38
by bridgeford

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 27 queries.