Hedge Laying

• 5 Replies

Storm10

Hedge Laying
« on: January 01, 2010, 18:12 »
Not a Bill Hook in sight... Despite having had chickens for the past couple of years Im totally stumped, two out of our 6 girls have started to lay in the hedges around ours and the next door neighbours garden.
We open the run so they have the full garden when were at home and at work. Theyre all very athletic and get out of the run anyhow. I have identified the ladies in question and have found their nests 27 eggs laid in total (No Easter Bunny either).
The other girls return to the house to lay and their all more than happy to go in a night. I have thought about leaving them in the house for a couple of days to force them to lay in the house. Any thoughts would me most welome  :unsure:

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Hedge Laying
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 23:04 »
hello storm10! you are lucky to have so many eggs :happy: - i am currently getting a total of 1 egg per week from my 8 girls! Your girls seem to have their routine nicley sorted and i expect the only way to stop them is to stop them escaping from the run somehow until they forget about the hedge!- soemone else may have some other ideas, it is a problem that sometimes gets discussed here so good luck! :)

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 01:41 »
beware!!!!!         if they can escape foxes and other unfriendly criitters can get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

littlewitch

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 10:10 »
Hi Storm10,  you say your girls are all athletic & escape their run - so have you clipped one wing on each bird - this should limit their escapades.  If you then put even a temporary 'roof' possibly of garden netting over the run this will confine them and encourage them to lay in your hen house. 

But as Sutty1 said - if they can get out - others (Not only foxes!) can get in so perhaps you can look at putting a permanent 'roof' on at a time to suit.

Anyway, good luck with sorting them out.

Storm10

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 15:02 »
Thanks for your thoughts on this one. :happy: The girls have been reclipped . I am now in the process of putting about 6-8 inches of garden net at right angles to the top rail of the run. Hopefully this will stop them getting on there and jumping out. Ill keep them in the run until theyve hopefully forgotten about the hedge.

I dont want to end up building some sort armoured run to keep them in and whilst I am aware of the Fox issues we like them to be as free as possible whilst laying in the house. This is despite losing a couple of Blue Belles from the garden during the day to a Fox strike.
The active den is just over the farmers field from the house and while Fox issues have been debated since time and memorial to me its all part and parcel of having chickens.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 19:19 »
Have you checked your coop and nesting boxes for red mite?

You should.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Yew Hedge and Hens?

Started by Tiggs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 20:36
by Tiggs
xx
Could a privet hedge be poisonous to hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 13:11
by Debz

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 28 queries.