Bullying help!!

• 7 Replies

redmolly

• Experienced Member
Bullying help!!
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:39 »
Hello all,

In the last couple of days I've noticed my cheeky little Rhode Star has lost weight and was not herself.

After watching - I've discovered that the cock has started bullying her and attacking her!!

They've lived together happily for months.

He won't let her near the others, stalks her and really attacks her nasty. She's always turned down his advances, but he's not even trying that anymore. She's had her tail down hiding from him and when she wants food - literally runs for her life, with him hot on her tail!!

So anyway - he's separated from them all right now - and she is right as rain, back with the other hens, tail up and eating!!

Have I done the right thing??? Should I have removed her or just him?? Plus - is he ok on his own??? In general, he's a very tame and friendly little chap - who up until now has done a great job looking after his girls.

I popped him back in the shed with them all last night, where it's as if nothing has happened, but he was evil to her again first thing - so I removed him.

Does this behaviour pass over or remain???? At the end of the day - she lays fab eggs and he doesn't!!! Saying that, since he's been Mr Evil, she's laying every other day at best!!

Any advice or opinions much appreciated!!

Thanks all!

lisa80

Re: Bullying help!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:50 »
we had a couple of girls that were badly bullied not just by the cock but by all the girls .after the cock attacked my son he was sent to heaven shall we say and all bullying stopped ,it was obviously him that was instigating it all along and the girls were just following him to please him i suppose :) do you need a cockerel? we decided we didnt need ours that much!if your not planning to breed then i would get rid ,my girls are fine with out one :)

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 13:34 »
Does the hen still lay ? I have seen this sort of thing before (with pheasants) and the `hen' began to grow male plumage later on. I spoke to a gamekeeper about it and he called it going mule. He thought it was hormonal problems or other reproductive organs not working as they should. The rest of the flock seem to recognise it long before the owner does.

This is a `possible' with your hen. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 13:36 by 8doubles »

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 13:52 »
Does the hen still lay ?
Yes! Not many of us back garden henkeepers can cope with a cock.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 14:01 »
Hmmmm....she last laid 2 days ago....a really small one for her!! At what age do they not do this?? Molly is now 9 months old????  :unsure:

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 14:03 »
we had a couple of girls that were badly bullied not just by the cock but by all the girls .after the cock attacked my son he was sent to heaven shall we say and all bullying stopped ,it was obviously him that was instigating it all along and the girls were just following him to please him i suppose :) do you need a cockerel? we decided we didnt need ours that much!if your not planning to breed then i would get rid ,my girls are fine with out one :)

They did seem to attempt to join in with him - fortunately not too often, then they would go and keep her company later!!! He'll be on his way if this doesn't put an end to it that's for sure! I just kept him as he was out of some "Gladys" hatched and he's very handsome too! In very bad books at the mo tho!!  :(

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 15:02 »
I had this when I introduced 3 new POL hens this year.  I've had it in the past and it's usually taken them up to 10 days to all settle down with each other even though signs of the pecking order can carry on.

My last three are separated from all the others (they're sold to someone else anyway soon) but that has always worked eventually for me.  If they have a fence/chicken wire between them they'll try and have a go still but if you can manage to give them an 'equal' life either side of the fence they might come round.  As long as they've got a kind of bolt hole they can feel safe from they should eventually pluck up more confidence and often that's what other birds pick on is lack of confidence.  I'm no expert but that's what I've experienced, hope it helps a little   8)

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 16:33 »
Thanks Chookster! Yeah they can see him from the other side of the wire etc so hopefully all will settle down soon! She goes absolutely nowhere near him tho!!! Will see how it goes!  :( :(

xx
Bullying

Started by rileyslab on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 31, 2014, 14:14
by snow white
xx
Bullying

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 10:31
by Casey76
xx
Bullying Hen

Started by Marligirl2 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 08:09
by Sassy
xx
one hen bullying the others.

Started by les on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2007, 07:51
by les

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 36 queries.