Poorly, cold or normal?

• 5 Replies

webwahm

• Experienced Member
    • Allotment Diary - Kids Stuff
Poorly, cold or normal?
« on: December 28, 2009, 17:58 »
Got some ex-batts last week and no issues so far.

Today though, I noticed a couple of things I wanted to check out here.

Noticed one hen that was shutting her eyes, neck pulled in and stood on one leg..but then after a bit she perked up and went for something to eat.  Another one then did the eyes shutting and one leg thing.

Were they just tired/how do they sleep?! or is it a sign of something else?

Another thing I noticed was 2 spots of fresh blood on the house wall...but nobody with any obvious, new, injuries (although it looks like someone is nipping because a few look like they have wounds on their combs).

Had a very quick look around on here but kids running around and can't stop on so asking for quickness  ::)

Thanks

karlooben

Re: Poorly, cold or normal?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 18:48 »
it sounds possilbe that they were just resting and having a little sleep , as for the blood on the combs if its only little specks then i would not worry to much mine have those quite regular , u can try putting purple spray on them { from all horse product sellers or pet shops } .

if any start to sneeze or make wheezing noises then they may have the star of a cold an will need antiboitics from a vet .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Devonian

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 21:04 »
Unfortunately this happened to one of my ex-batts in October, less than 4 days from getting her.  Symptoms came on within 24 hours and were similar, she appeared very sleepy, propped up against a wall and standing on one leg.   The next morning she seemed better but then went quiet again.  Took her to the vets immediately but they said she wouldn't recover and sadly had to put her to sleep. 
Vets thought she could have been egg bound since before I got her but didn't think it worth trying to save her as she was getting worse by the minute.  :( :(

This was a very hard episode for me as she was my first ex-batt but at least she had a couple of days of being in the sunshine in the garden, even if it did not last long.

I really hope this is not what your girl has so fingers crossed for a good recovery!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 15:01 »
As they are relatively new to each other there will be a bit of argy bargy to start with as they sort out the pecking order.  If combs are getting pecked, put vaseline on them, it makes it harder for anyone to get a grip. 

Re the eyes closed, hunched chucks.  As yours are only recently re-homed ex batts, then it could just be that they are adjusting to freedom.  It's a heck of a change they've gone through.

When I first got my ex batts, I noticed several were having 40 winks early afternoon, and to be honest, in my ignorance, just thought it was normal.  But I don't think it is normal for healthy chucks to sleep in day light hours.  There's far too much to do, and they definately don't do it now!  To start with, they just didn't seem to have the staminer to do a full days 'chicken stuff', which is understandable when all they've done before is sit in a cage.

Since then, I've had a couple of 'poorly' ones, Pearl went through a couple of days of not looking good not long after we got her, and I thought she was a gonner.  Local game keeper thought it might be coxy symptoms, and was watching her and the others closely ready to dose, but then she perked up, and has had no problems since.

A few weeks ago, Wilma with similar symptoms, on closer investigation she'd got a soft shell ruptured and couldn't get it out.  Thankfully, we managed to do it for her, and after a weekend indoors to recuperate, she's back to normal.

The fact that your sleepy chuck is eating is really good, so don't worry too much.  Keep an eye on her for the next few days, and if no improvement, perhpas contact the organisation that you got her from.

Hope she perks up, good luck with them. 

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 21:32 »
Not alot to add as I'm a novice chook keeper except that I have had all the same probs off and on since my ex-batts came two months ago.

They pecked each others combs for about two weeks or so but now have completely stopped. I put vaseline on their combs against the cold so maybe that's why but I thought it was just that they had sorted their hierarchy out. I also found a couple of blood spots in the first few days. These stopped too.

I thought that the sleepiness was just overstimulated chooks newly out of cages though more experienced keepers would see problems long before I would. Mine still have the odd 'sleepy' day - eyes droopy, one leg, bit listless, usually on really cold days - but so far they've always picked up again. I suppose yours are undergoing a bit of a temperature shock after they're stifling hot cages.

Best of luck with your new chooks  :)and I really hope the poorly one gets better. I can't believe how much fun and laughter ours have brought!!

webwahm

• Experienced Member
    • Allotment Diary - Kids Stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 17:44 »
Just as an update, I've not seen this behaviour again since I wrote this post so maybe it was just a bit of tiredness!

Thanks for all the input :-)

xx
is this normal

Started by goddards on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 06:27
by karlooben
xx
Hen not 'normal'

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 21:57
by CluckyChicken
xx
normal poo??

Started by shaggybfc on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 21:04
by death of rats
xx
Is this normal?

Started by Julia and the girls on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 24, 2012, 08:15
by Sassy

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 35 queries.