White Stars vs Leghorns

• 11 Replies

iwantanallotment

White Stars vs Leghorns
« on: December 28, 2009, 03:52 »
I don't know how many of us have "White Star" hybrids?  But this was of great interest to me :

"White Stars are all leghorn. The reason they are 'hybrids' is because they take two very inbred strains of white Leghorn with the consequent restricted gene pools, then cross them, giving the resultant offspring the same type of hybrid vigour you get when you cross two different breeds."

So they aren't really a 'hybrid' but a carefully in-bred pure-breed that *performs* like a hybrid.

Just thought other owners may be interested to know that.

I'm also surprised to note that my White Star/Leghorn eggs are the tastiest! That was a big surprise, expected the darker eggs to taste best - but no, it is these. LOVELY tasty eggs  :)

viettaclark

Re: White Stars vs Leghorns
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 16:26 »
That is really interesting! I have a White Star who has laid fantastic huge eggs since she was 18 weeks and is giving me 5/6 eggs a week over Winter. She has loads of character too.....seems to be brighter and more inquisitive than the others. She certainly doesn't suffer from any in-breeding probs!

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 16:54 »
my white star is the naughtiest, she is very flighty, and despite having her wing clipped (she is the only one that needs it done regularly) she flies off and about. Have had various neighbours coming round asking me to remove her from their gardens. Off I go, box of "i'm sorry" eggs in one hand, catching net in the other. Grrrr.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

iwantanallotment

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:58 »
Bless, IMO!  Mine were like that too at the start, I found them on top of the greenhouses & all over despite a clipped wing.  I was thankful to have a landing net on a few occasions! They were also the most nervous & flighty, but are now settled in and tamed and lay lovely large, tasty eggs every day & never an urge to escape any more :)
I was interested to note that in the US they are the main egg providers - my US mate visited and was amazed to see a brown egg, even took pics to show her friends  ???

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 09:26 »
my white star is the naughtiest, she is very flighty, and despite having her wing clipped (she is the only one that needs it done regularly) she flies off and about. Have had various neighbours coming round asking me to remove her from their gardens. Off I go, box of "i'm sorry" eggs in one hand, catching net in the other. Grrrr.

:tongue2: Excellent  :D

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 09:30 »
I'm also surprised to note that my White Star/Leghorn eggs are the tastiest! That was a big surprise, expected the darker eggs to taste best - but no, it is these. LOVELY tasty eggs  :)

Wow - that IS interesting. I only have a beautiful cockerel (and I mean beautiful - he is just gorgeous and looks just like something out of a story book.  He's very gentleman like too and doesn't crow that much - I don't think anyway  :dry:)

Anyway, when you said dark eggs - you don't mean white star eggs do you??? Or the yolks?? My white star eggs were very large white ones, just like duck eggs can be. 

By the way - which ducks lay blue eggs - is it a breed thing or a fishmeal thing that some people talk of???

iwantanallotment

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 04:48 »
soz chookster, no - my white stars lay a pure white egg, almost like porcelain.

The brown eggs are from the speckledies.

AND.....drum roll plz.....I get a mucky khaki coloured egg each day from my Columbine/Skyline, bless ~ ugliest eggs you ever saw, but the biggest! She was very late starting, as she's a very nervy type and rather 'simple', to put it kindly. But her eggs (if you can ignore the shell colour!) are wonderful   :)

A Very Happy New Year to you and all xxx

sunshinemedic

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 11:47 »
I can't get near my white star eggs as they are my wife's favourite!  :wub:

She was the most likely fly/run initially but has since settled down and is one of the most friendly, inquisitive and intelligent chooks in my coop.

pennsylvania planters

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 12:43 »
The wife would love some white stars, but i can't seem to get a hold of any around here.
Lots of people have the chickens,but nobody has any POL's. :(
 Does anybody know of any suppliers of these in South Yorkshire/there abouts?

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 22:53 »
soz chookster, no - my white stars lay a pure white egg, almost like porcelain.

The brown eggs are from the speckledies.

AND.....drum roll plz.....I get a mucky khaki coloured egg each day from my Columbine/Skyline, bless ~ ugliest eggs you ever saw, but the biggest! She was very late starting, as she's a very nervy type and rather 'simple', to put it kindly. But her eggs (if you can ignore the shell colour!) are wonderful   :)

A Very Happy New Year to you and all xxx

;) well I have people that LOVE my green eggs and egg layers - they're always asking about them in fact. My blue egg layers don't lay yet but I have chickens that lay dark green eggs, most of which look like kiwis LOL.  They don't lay as often of course as they're a breed that I expect to only lay about 100 a year but I have a waiting list for them!! Imagine.  But then at the farmers' market there's no interest.  Nowt so queer as folk  :tongue2:

iwantanallotment

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 07:04 »
I totally agree with you chookster, and love my girl's big khaki coloured, ugly eggs. They have the biggest yolks, too.
But I was upset when I sent a box of fresh eggs to Mom and she tutted "I'm sure we'll find *some* use for those grey ones"  :(

The White Stars' eggs are lovely though, I'll always choose them first  :)  The hens were mental to start with, but now are the wisest and anticipate every move. They crouch to be stroked too, and reward all attention with their lovely eggs  :)

However - they are also the first to go crazy and off the lay when that big tabby drops in to watch them. I don't *think* he'll harm them, he hasn't tried to date, but just his presence upsets them. BIG water gun on shopping list!

Happy 2010!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:09 by iwantanallotment »

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 18:50 »
my white star 30 weeks, no eggs yet  :D She has been treaded recently though I think, judging by the muddy footprints on her back/wings   :D

xx
White Stars

Started by ian123 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 11:30
by chech221
xx
white stars

Started by millymolymandy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 20:35
by Fifitrix
xx
Leghorns

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 08:09
by Fiona55
xx
2 Broody Leghorns

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 14:59
by Fiona55

Page created in 0.772 seconds with 30 queries.