Help

• 12 Replies

N Kneale

Help
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:05 »
Hi Everyone

Happy Christmas and Best Wishes for the New Year.

I have had my allotment through Leeds CC for 3 seasons and have 300sqm, and up until this year I was on my own.  I have new neighbours at the allotment who have requested the council to remeasure the plots.

I received a letter to say this has been done and could I move my brand new shed slighlty,  as it was now on part of their plot, when I called and asked how slighty, i was told 5 metres and my allotment is now slightly smaller, this means I will loose the fruit trees, and the permanent plants will have to be removed.

I have worked so hard on this it has upset me deeply that these pleople who already have another allotment on the site are acting this way and the council seems not to care.  The council have already measured the plots last year and there was no change then why now???

Do I have any rights and what advice can anyone give me.

Thank you :( :(

Elcie

Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:01 »
Oh I am sorry to hear that.  Was your plot much larger than the others?  Just wondering why they decided to resize.  It does seem unfair to do this when you have permanent plants in there that you are looking after.  Must admit, I benefited from a resize at our allotments but this meant that I took over some land that was full of weeds and hadn't been worked.  Would have been a bit different if it was being worked.

I'm sure there will be some people on here who can give you some advice about this.  Good luck.

savbo

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:19 »
Would a sensible solution be for the plots to stay the same but for you to pay slightly more and the neighbours pay slightly less based on £/m2? That's what would happen on our site, a Council-owned, society-run one in Manchester... we discovered our first plot to be tapering because of (innocent) boundary creep, the neighbours have a substantial hen run up to the boundary which it would be difficult to move, so the Secretary offered to remeasure and charge us less... haven't bothered actually but the principle is there...

MS

N Kneale

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 13:38 »
I am meeting the "Head Man" tomorrow at the allotments who incidently was the one who had shown me the boundary originally.

The confusion lies in that all the plots are 250 sqm and mine is 300sqm, I was told I would pay more, but I will need to check.

Thank you for the replies so far.

noshed

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 14:58 »
Surely there must be an amicable way to sort this out? Our site is a real hodge podge of sizes and it seems to just about work - apart from blatant invasion, most things can be resolved by negotiation.
Good luck
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 15:13 »
What does the terms and conditions say? On mine it has the area on. Surely if the terms say 300sqm then thats what you have paid for and you have some grounds to challenge. Next spring spray their crops with roundup.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Nikkie

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 21:26 »
Thank you for the advice given, I have been told that my neighbours have asked for a remeasure.  I do have 300m2 and it is the last plot, I do pay extra also.  Had they spoke to me first then I would have been more than happy to discuss this, not now though.

My concern is the situation may be untenable for me to continue at this site, Leeds CC have had a rush on allotments and in the part of Leeds I am there no "Prime" sites" left.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 22:09 »
I am meeting the "Head Man" tomorrow at the allotments who incidently was the one who had shown me the boundary originally.

The confusion lies in that all the plots are 250 sqm and mine is 300sqm, I was told I would pay more, but I will need to check.

Thank you for the replies so far.

Let us know how you get on.... the suggestion for paying an increased rent to keep the plot as it is sounds reasonable especially as you had been given the plot (all 300 sq m) to start with. Is there a rule book which mentions anything to do with resizing plots or playing for extra land.

Sounds as if you need to do some negotiating being firm but patient.... the error was not yours. Removong part of the land that was allocated to you, albeit in error, seems a retrograde step.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 22:12 »
I do hope you let us know what happened. We get a lot of people coming on to query but never hear the end result. Good or bad (I hope not) it would be good to hear your outcome NKneale
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 00:08 »
Out of pure curiosity, are you using two user accounts i.e. N Kneale and Nikki?  If so, would you like them to be merged if that's technically feasible?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 11:36 »
Out of pure curiosity, are you using two user accounts i.e. N Kneale and Nikki?  If so, would you like them to be merged if that's technically feasible?

It would be less confusing - and some of us are easily confusalled !!  ???

N Kneale

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 17:26 »
 Hi All

I met the head man on Wednesday as mentioned in an earlier post, my next door plot had requested a remeasure as stated.  He remeasured twice while I was there and each time it was different.  I explained I would be more than happy and pay an increase in rent or if it was purely land then I would offer some of the back land which I had not really worked on.

He listened to what I had to say and advised me he would speak to my neighbours, I then received a call a little while later advising the boundary will stay the same. :) :)  I am extremely happy!!

The head man was very helpful with his advice.

Thank you for the advice given.

I hope you all had a great Christmas.

PS, I was registered as Nikkie at one point but I could not login so had to re-register, if they can be merged that  would be great, if not please delete the Nikkie account.  Thank you.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 23:25 »
Brilliant news & thanks for letting us know.

I would have been right miffed if someone came along and wanted to take back a lump of my plot especially if I had planted fruit on it.

So... well done for being patient and sticking to your guns.

Here's hoping the neighbours will be gracious and accept the decision without noses turned up.... (I know what I mean!!)

A happy Christmas for you - excellent!  ;)

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 36 queries.