Molting chooks

• 5 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Molting chooks
« on: December 19, 2009, 14:10 »
Hi, I'm new to this site and really need some help.  We have 5 ex batts who have been with us since May  (we're newbies at all this) Now 2 of our ladies who were beautiful and very proud have become moulting wrecks over the last few days and today I have seen very dark skin on their bald patches. Can anyone give me some help or advice on what to do, please!!!
Thanks in advance
Kathie :( :( :(
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

treacleminer

Re: Molting chooks
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 16:26 »
They are probably doing their first 'natural' moult - mine seem to wait for the first frosts ???
If you look carefully you may find the 'dark skin' is in fact the beginning of the new feathers.  Hopefully they will have enough sense (although there is a reason for the term bird brained) to snuggle somewhere warm and sheltered when necessary.  It may also be a good idea to give them an extra tonic - poultry spice - or something like that.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 20:23 »
and a bit of fish flavour cat food for extra protein apparently.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 23:42 »
Thank you, thank you, will try everything first thing tomorrow.  Christmas cheer to all!! :) :) :)

susan - happy hens

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 10:33 »
Hi, the ex-battery girl I have is moulting fast and pretty miserable.  The other two are just starting to moult. I give them poultry spice mixed with the pellets and a few drops of flax oil - a posting a few weeks ago said it was good for chickens.  AVC and crushed garlic in their water also recommended by someone a few days ago.  Good luck. :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 12:04 »
Hi, a bit of poultry spice of life guard toinc added to the food is all you need. Are you feeding them a good quality food? i feed mine ex-batts and they seem to be doing very well on it, feathering up nicely :lol:

xx
Is my hen molting? Any molting info would be helpful :-)

Started by R_A_W on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 18:11
by jinty1911
xx
molting...

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 15, 2007, 21:11
by princesspoultry
xx
Molting Hen

Started by mrs bouquet on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 12:44
by mrs bouquet
xx
Both mums molting?

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 18:30
by chloe

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 36 queries.