red oinions
« on: December 17, 2009, 02:21 »
Hi all bought some red onion electric today need some advice on planting

Loubs

• Experienced Member
Re: red oinions
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:16 »
Sets or seeds?
Would say it's too cold to plant sets now - nothing will grow when it's this cold & wet, so they may rot. Should catch up if you plant them in early spring. You'll need to store them in light - otherwise they'll start to sprout.

Seeds you can start off indoors around Feb I think.

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 03:42 »
Red Electric is designed for autumn planting, leaving them till spring might not get yoiu anything other than rather tough red spring onions before they bolt.... If you have a greenhouse or a cool north-facing windowsill then you could try putting them in pots to get them started then harden off at the end of January and plant out... what they need is the root-system, they don't usually put more than a couple of inches above ground before they appear to shut down.....

Personally I gave up on sets about fifteen years ago, you're always a hostage to the weather, the choice available is limited and I like some of the whacky and/ or large ones, you can't get sets for Kelsae and Long Red  Florence....

chrisc

supervegman

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 15:25 »
 hi there thnaks for all your advice.

So shall i plant them out under clouched once i have got the ground to dry out a little after then snow then. Thye are over wintering ones so i guess now woul dbe as good as time as any

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 36 queries.