deep floor bedding

• 3 Replies

karlooben

deep floor bedding
« on: December 12, 2009, 09:32 »
do any of you guys use a deep bedding system on the floor of the hen houses , next week my shed will probably be having a deep litter bed of shavings , how often would it need to be cleaned out ? what worries me though would this give the bugs a chance to hide an breed more .
but in a way it would be easier for me as i just hand pick out the droppings .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
Re: deep floor bedding
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 11:09 »
Ours have a deep bed this time of year, but as they share it with the ducks this time of year, It still has to gets changed weekly but the wooden floor of the shed stays dryish.
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 13:54 »
Deep litter is only suitable for a large house and I believe the idea of a deep litter system is that you don't clean it out regularly or poo pick but build up the litter by adding fresh litter on top (capping).  It is usually at least 200mm deep.  To control ammonia build up you need good ventilation and sprinkling Stalosan F Disinfectant powder will help keep it dry and odour free.  The litter MUST be kept as dry as possible and it will form a caked bed with a friable surface and the ammonia will kill the pathegens so you needn't worry about that aspect.  Just be sure the ammonia doesn't get too bad.  If it stings your nose or causes breathing problems when you put your head about a foot above it it's too much ammonia and you need better ventilation and a remedial dressing of Stalosan.  

You dig out the old bed every year.

Best of luck
HF
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 14:04 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 16:13 »
thanks guys ,think i will stick to what i am doing then and thats just a thin layer over the floor at the mo i am using straw as the horses are on it but if they go back on shavings next wek then the chickens will use that as well  deep littering and hand picking poos each day seemed like a good idea but of course i dont need the smell with it  :tongue2:. i do have some shavings in the corner of the house but the girls have decided that makes a wicked soft laying area instead its only 1/4 of a bale of shavings but they may stop laying in disgust if i use it .

xx
Bedding and run floor

Started by arwen on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 09:17
by JaK
xx
Help needed on bedding and covering for floor

Started by rosegarden on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2013, 21:37
by helens-hens
xx
Deep cleaning the aviary floor.

Started by whistler on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 21:03
by whistler
xx
How deep is the bedding in your henhouse?

Started by Snoop on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 11:31
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 36 queries.