Mmmm hot mash

• 15 Replies

chooksbury

Mmmm hot mash
« on: December 11, 2009, 22:11 »
 :)  Ok I know this is gona sound daft but is there a basic proportion for making this ?  It was absolutely "taters" this morning and my poor lasses were all fluffed up when they emerged from the pophole ... so I made them some chicky porridge. 

I just grabbed a handful of pellets, half as much corn, a sprinkle of raisins, a spoon of my ready brek and some grit and put the kettle to it .. stirred , cooled slightly for safety, and served.   8)

I didn't think they'd like it but they wuffed it with great enthusiasm. Their little beaks were in the bowl before I set it down. But is the proportion ok ?  They don't lay yet .. just weaning them onto layers pellets off growers .. and their dangy bits are darker .. legs whiter and Lucinda is "pratting" 

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Re: Mmmm hot mash
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 22:25 »
I gave my new hens some warm mash with poultry spice this morning - at first they weren't sure but when I looked from the window all I could see were four fluffy bottoms in the air so I guess I'll be doing it again tomorrow!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 08:56 »
If it's in the morning, the main ingredient should be layers mash/pellets but otherwise, add anything you like!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:39 »
Ours love cooked veggies and soaked bread.  If we go down the garden in the afternoon without anything they are disgusted with us.
Pamela

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 11:29 »
Ours have pellets with hot water added and its the first thing they head for when they come out the coup. Yum

chookaburra

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 15:59 »
 :tongue2:  Hi girls - Frigg laid her first egg today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such a beautiful, clever girl!!!  My mash recipe is as simple as yours - handful of scots porridge oats, half handful corn, handful of fresh (thawed) garden peas, handful of layers pellets, and some raisins.  When I come out with this in my hands, they are jumping up and down with impatience! they love it - alternately cook up peelings and add layers pellets and corn for variation - greedy little girls love it all!!! They'd eat it all I'm sure but I only give them half the quantity just in case!!!!   Thank heavens for the microwave, I can reheat what I don't serve the next day!  When | get the silkies I will be running around like a headless you-know-what catering to the little darlings!!!!  Looking forward to the 19th xxxxx
Owned by two tom cats, two chooks and Steptoe xxx

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 18:37 »
I have just cooked a chooky delight for mine it will be mixed with layers and corn tomorrow morning, rice, garlic, sprouts, chopped potatoes, all the veggie peelings from the stew i cooked. All boiled up in a big pot for them. we have to put it in there trough before we let them out, as trying to fight with 24 chooks when your trying to put the food in is a nightmare!!!!!!!
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Little Red Hen

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 19:18 »
I give 2/3 layer mash, 1/3 porridge oats mixed with poultry spice and also I throw in two capsules of cod liver oil, add hot water and stir until it's yummy.  Once in a while I throw in some peas or saltanas.  My sil brought over some bok choy (not sure about the spelling) and I shredded that up for them today and gave it to them as a treat.  They were over the moon!

tiptopchickendon

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 13:19 »
My girls are not very happy with cold...poor things especially the Leghorn

So they got a special treat of leftovers this morning...

Porridge, Christmas cake (-minus icing etc), chopped up spuds from last nights cassarole, all messed & warmed up with warm milk

Loved it they did...now they wont stop tapping on the patio window for more  :D

chooksbury

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 15:16 »
Ours have developed a taste for bashed mince pie. . but are currently demolishing an iceberg lettuce on a chain  ::)

grumpydad

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 16:31 »
turned their nose up at warm mash this morning, so have had to make do with cold rations all day, with warm water i must add.
it was minus 10 this morning, refilled the water 3 times, but moved it to under the coop, it has not iced up as much, added a bit more to the floor of the coop, for a deep insulation layer.

the plastic roof of the run has kept the coop roof free from snow

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 18:23 »
My girls won't touch my warm mash, ingrates! I made them warm weetabix and porridge mix this morning before I left for school - they hadn't touched it when I left at 7.15 for school. I know it was dark, but it was lovely and warm, when I got back tonight it was still there - frozen and untouched! Another cold morning I'd given them their pellets warmed up with warm water, a little grated cheese and cooked potato - they weren't impressed with that either.
I don't know if it's because its in a dish rather than there Omlet grub? I'm going to have another go tomorrow as I'm off work so can at least see them as it will be daylight!

Any recipe suggestions? :wub:

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 18:59 »
My girls won't touch my warm mash, ingrates! I made them warm weetabix and porridge mix this morning before I left for school - they hadn't touched it when I left at 7.15 for school. I know it was dark, but it was lovely and warm, when I got back tonight it was still there - frozen and untouched! Another cold morning I'd given them their pellets warmed up with warm water, a little grated cheese and cooked potato - they weren't impressed with that either.
I don't know if it's because its in a dish rather than there Omlet grub? I'm going to have another go tomorrow as I'm off work so can at least see them as it will be daylight!

Any recipe suggestions? :wub:

As you say a strange dish is enough to keep them away from their food, if the food is unusual too it will stay untouched. A few tasters from your hand and dropped near the dish will often do the trick.

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 09:18 »
I tried pellets, porridge oats, chopped sultanas (which they love) peas mixed with warm water and garnished with some corn to entice them in! They have pecked away at this more, although there is suspicion over the peas (convinced that I'm trying to poison them), this was more promising I just need to add more oats! I used a snow coloured bowl today! They are worse than my children! :lol: It is nice to see them in daylight though.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 10:39 »
I also give my girls some warmed food in the morning and just before they go to bed. I use an icream tub, put mainly layers pellets with some porridge oats and poultry spice mixed with hot water left to cool and then serve. They wolf it down. At least I know they are eating through the day.  :)

xx
mash

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 10:45
by Craig69
xx
hello - what exactly is mash?

Started by Minx14 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 19:16
by Raven81
xx
layers mash

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 31, 2009, 10:41
by Flowerpower136
xx
what is layers mash

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 16:52
by poppies

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 37 queries.