When do you let them out?

• 12 Replies

vichope74

When do you let them out?
« on: December 11, 2009, 09:54 »
Hello again.  My first birds arrive in 4 weeks.  They are going to live in a good sized coop with attached run.  The run is way too small to use for anything but short periods - but I had read somewhere else that when you first get chooks you should keep them in for a while so they know where home is and don't wander too far.  If this is true - how long do I keep them in for?  Don't want them being cramped but really don't want them all to head off.  Also do Warrens need feathers clipped - didn't think they were a flighty type them someone told me that theirs regularly flys????   ???

treacleminer

Re: When do you let them out?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 11:14 »
I would probably only let them into their restricted run for the first 48 hours or so.

Wing clipping - depends on your situation.  If you are trying to restrict them to a certain area within a 4' fence, you may need to this, if you are happy for them to go where they like you wont.  Not wing clipping may give them a chance to get away from trouble.

I would wait and see how they behave before wing clipping :D

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:32 »
I kept mine in for 7 days ...
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Big Bird

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 14:24 »
We only kept our four girls in for the first 24 hrs then let them out, with clipped wings as we only have a four foot high fence with netting.

As if by magic from the first day they have put themsleves to bed at dusk.  They seemed to know from day one where the bedroom was!!

We did get the odd escapee, even with a clipped wing they can jump quite high, so we put a couple of runs of string above the fence to give an extra foot or so in height using canes pushed into the ground.  This seems to have worked be either making it so they can't land on the top of the fence or they just think the whole thing is now too high.

Even in this cold, wet and windy weather we are still getting three or four eggs a day from our four hybrids.

vichope74

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 14:37 »
Thanks all.  Will probably settle for around 2-3 days in the enclosed run I think.  Will be scary when it comes time to let them free range right enough!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 18:47 »
We made the mistake of trying to round them up to put them back in their run after letting them free range, it was hilarious but frustrating! then realised all we had to do was call them and throw a handful of corn in the run and just like magic they ran all in. We let them out the day after we first got them.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 09:02 »
My POL birds are too shy of me yet to come for corn. I had an escapee this morning ... had to herd her in with a walking stick! I need them at the stage when they will respond to a call and a handful of something interesting, as I don't free range them when we're out, but we're in and out at different times all week. The ex-batts come willingly for a handful of anything and it's no bother to get them back in the run if I have to leave the house ... I hope these girls will get there sooner or later  ::)

CWatters

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 23:32 »
We kept ours in for five days. First night we had to encourage them to go up the ramp and through to pop hole but after that they pt themselves to bed. Each day about an hour before dark we gave them a small dish of corn. We clipped them before letting them out for the first time and they didn't wander very far. They returned to the coop when it was time for their treat. Over the next six weeks they got more and more adventurous until they eventually escaped. We have now fenced off part of the garden so they can't do that anymore. The routine of feeding them a treat of corn seems to work. They come running the moment we open the back door of our house. 

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 16:35 »
Let mine out for the first time this afternoon (after 7 days), for an hour before they usually go to bed. They were quite well behaved, if a little unsure, and I wanted to see what they would do about the ponds. I have netted them both but I watched them like a hawk, and so far ok.
When my nerves had frayed I shook the corn tub and they came to a light trail into their run and some handfuls to go into before bed. They did a bit of running and wing stretching, but I think I'll have to clip their wings just in case!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 07:50 »
By late afternoon yesterday, the new hens were restless ... so I put the ex-batts in their run and opened the door for the newbies ... no nerves at all!! If I'd been able to leave it 'til dark I think they would have put themselves to bed, but I had to go out while it was still just light ... two were in the run but I had to herd the third in. I'll let them out a bit later tonight so I can watch them a bit more closely to see what they do.

They're still not trained to come for corn, I need to work on that a bit!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 08:20 »
don't worry they'll soon learn, either that or try meal worms - mine will have your hand off for them  :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

vichope74

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 12:53 »
Beulah59 - what happy looking chooks!  Am so glad I found this forum - you have all given me loads of good advice and I am so looking forward to them arriving now! :tongue2:

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 16:22 »
They're out now ... and I've thrown a handful of corn and mealworms in their run but they're ignoring me!

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 28 queries.