Raised Bed

• 7 Replies

sion01

Raised Bed
« on: December 05, 2009, 20:37 »
For the last six months I have been trying to cultivate an area where my chickens were kept for about three years.It is a nightmare as the area is surrounded by a big ash trees a couple of plum trees and a buddlea.I know remember why I put chickens there in the first place.The roots of he trees and shrubs are a thick carpet a couple of inches below the soil surface and after many hours of sweat and tears(no blood so far) I have decided that a raised bed is the only option.
I am concerned that the roots of the buddlea and the ash will sucker up into the raised bed.
Should I put some sort of barrier to stop this happening and if so what.Any advice would be greatly recieved.

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
Re: Raised Bed
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 23:20 »
i know of very little to stop vigiourous roots, polythene would probably be best as this has a little more plyability. I once done a job reparing a swimming pool and the roots of many various trees had pretty much ruined it!! they managed to penetrate 3 ft of concrete.. Do what i did hire a JCB and get digging at those roots they will forever be causing you a problem..
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

sion01

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 17:50 »
Thank you for the reply I was afraid somebody would say that.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 19:38 »
The first year that I dug the ground under where the beds are...I cut away all the very big roots from the cherry tree and removed all the fibrous roots. I then made the wooden edges and added a lot of compost. Job done i thought .......but not :(
Now every spring I have to deep dig again as the fibrous roots grow back each year, which means you are forever watering if the summer is warm. But I do get worth while crops.
I keep meaning to dig all the soil out to a good depth and use pond lining (with the odd drainage split?) but the strong stuff is quite expensive and it would be a lot of work :(

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 08:21 »
The first year that I dug the ground under where the beds are...I cut away all the very big roots from the cherry tree and removed all the fibrous roots. I then made the wooden edges and added a lot of compost. Job done i thought .......but not :(
Now every spring I have to deep dig again as the fibrous roots grow back each year, which means you are forever watering if the summer is warm. But I do get worth while crops.
I keep meaning to dig all the soil out to a good depth and use pond lining (with the odd drainage split?) but the strong stuff is quite expensive and it would be a lot of work :(

If you can get hold of some black damp proof membrame its alot cheaper and very strong :)

bigben

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 11:43 »
What about buried overlapping roofing slates if you can get your hands on them. You could use them as well as the membrane to give a bit more protection.

madcat

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 15:19 »
You could decide you were right in the first place and just put the chickens back?   ;)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

sion01

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 16:34 »
Good Idea I think the chickens are going back.

xx
What to put in my second raised bed?

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 12:13
by DD.
xx
What to do with a raised bed?

Started by spursn17 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 28, 2012, 21:44
by Ice
xx
not another raised bed

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 13, 2019, 10:37
by rowlandwells
xx
Raised Bed?

Started by photoboy on Grow Your Own

59 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 16:13
by aubergine

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 38 queries.