Advice on eggs please - Very Worried !!!

• 37 Replies

lisa80

Re: Advice on eggs please - Very Worried !!!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 20:57 »
i agree with everything that has been said.we have only just started getting eggs from our girls and they are fantastic especially in cakes!!! and the best bit is you know where they have come from ,how fresh they are and how well looked after your birds are.so enjoy them at least you have one person that wont be asking for some freebies!!!!!

Sassy

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 08:21 »
Can only agree with everyone. If we are wrong we should all be dead or dying from whatever it is that he is worried about :tongue2: :tongue2:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 09:20 »
Maybe he's talking hygiene/salmonella type concerns?  He's obviously remembering dear Edwina's declaration.

It does have to be said that you can get a bit blase about chicken poo, and that could lead to problems.  But, if they were a biological hazard, we'd all be pushing up daisies, and that's clearly not the case.

Nutritious, tasty and free, plus you get the joy and truely therapeutic value of the chucks.

Definately not a health hazard.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 11:09 »
I did mention the salmonella bit flowerpot, but Edwina Curry did more harm to poultry farms than was deserved at that time!

You can get BSE, but that didn't stop me eating beef.  The price of it di, but not the BSE!!!  :happy:  and my Mum stopped eating cod when they said that cod has got worms in it.  she started eating haddock instead!!!!   :lol: :lol:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 11:22 »
I've always thought that haddock worms were far superior to cod!

People do have some funny ideas about hygiene, especially right now with all the hype about swine flu.  My sister did sugget that I have one of those hand gel devices at the entrance to the chucks run.  Seriously!

She has MS, so is always a bit concerned about germs and imune systems etc, probably, in her case, we can forgive her.

Me?  I think a bit of muck does you good. :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 12:54 »
a bit of muck does you good?
Probably why my kids never catch anything lol
I new there was a reason behind not cleaning the kitchen floor :lol:

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 20:18 »
Some of my eggs arrive with a generous coating of poo so I wash them and wipe them before cracking them, and I have not had a poorly tum for years...famous last words, but I am not going to change!
I had two egg bacon omlette today and a two egg mushroom omlette yesterday... Can't wait for tomorrows breakfast.

too many girls

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 23:15 »
next time your friend offers you advice on your chooks, don't listen to him, he's talking out of his bahookie :lol:

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 00:21 »
I started taking a few of my eggs in to work, with a little pot for "voluntary donations", and one colleage likes m to write the name of the girlie who laid it. They came back from holiday after 2 weeks, her children having REFUSED to eat store eggs, at aged 7 and 9, they said they wanted REAL eggs.

My granddaughter(aged4)has seen chics hatch from the eggs, and was worried that she was eating "the baby birdies". She now knows that they have to go in the special magic machine to make them grow into babies.  She is ok with that, but now wont eat chicken, so her mum tells her its turkey. Poor child, isnt life confusing enough?

I suppose there are health risks in eating your own backyard hen eggs, IF they are covered in poop, kept in a damp place (the shells are porous, and in wet conditions, including washing them yourself, can damage the outer bloom of protection, allowing bacteria to enter the egg itself), and if the hens have been laying out, and you find them, having no idea of how old they are.   

If, on the other hand, you collect them fresh, keep nest area clean and wipe away any poop, store them in a cool place, and your birds are happy and healthy, They pose LESS of a threat of illness than storebought eggs.

I can assure you that if there was any health risk, I certainly wouldnt be feeding them to my own grandchildren.

Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

dizzylizzie

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 00:47 »
Eggsactly...any health riskd do you really think we would give them to our loveds ones?NO, all my loved ones would be getting supermarket eggs....my husband would get the girls eggs ;)

too many girls

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 00:50 »
my daddy say's he's never going to eat another of my pickled eggs again after what happened to the dog :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 12:08 »
my daddy say's he's never going to eat another of my pickled eggs again after what happened to the dog :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:
there is a story there... i  must have missed that thread :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 12:18 »
there is a story there... i  must have missed that thread :(

This is it http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=48552.msg572850#msg572850

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 14:42 »
I've always thought that haddock worms were far superior to cod!

People do have some funny ideas about hygiene, especially right now with all the hype about swine flu.  My sister did sugget that I have one of those hand gel devices at the entrance to the chucks run.  Seriously!

She has MS, so is always a bit concerned about germs and imune systems etc, probably, in her case, we can forgive her.

Me?  I think a bit of muck does you good. :D

Well I do keep a bottle of hand sanitizer just inside the turkey house, because sometimes people who come round ask to see the baby turkeys as they've never seen one before.  So before they go in, they wash their shoes in disinfectant and sanitize their hands.  But that's more for the turkey's protection than the people!!!! lol  :happy:

lisa80

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 16:16 »
i have a sanitiser spay outside pen for when my son has been feeding the girls, quite often we stay down the allotment after cleaning out to do some weeding etc so its just handy for us and the kids better to be safe i always think ;)

xx
Worried about our eggs

Started by chickencharly on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 21:52
by chickencharly
xx
New and need some advice please......getting very worried.

Started by katey on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 13:21
by katey
xx
Rennie Update- still worried- still soft eggs- calcium tablets where?

Started by shiatsusu on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 17:52
by shiatsusu
xx
Advice re poorly old hen please (lice and croup problem) worried :(

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 23:49
by rosie14

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 37 queries.